Question

How do I correctly format the Group field in Mailchimp?

• 28 November 2023
  • 23 replies

Hi

What is the format I should put into the Group field?

I can’t make it work with either the TXT value or the group or the ID. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Jacob Mondrup 

Good question.

The Group is a dropdown field with standardized options.

Help: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496241696141-Add-custom-values-to-dropdown-menu-fields-in-Zaps#01H7FR09FBEAKK4ZZP678QDE9T

Hi Troy

Thanks for your reply. I see the option of setting a group for the whole Zap. But in my case, it can be different. The data of what group the contact should belong to, is part of the dataset. But I can’t figure out, how that info should be formatted before send into the group field. In some cases its only one group, in other cases more than one group. Should it be ID’s - comma separated. The ID’s with a “true” or “false”? 

Best Regards

Jacob

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jacob Mondrup 

Post a screenshot of the list of options from the Group dropdown field for context.

From my source, I get a field with the ID of the groups. It could be “909910001, 909910009, 909910016”. I can convert them into TXT or other ID like I do in this lookup table. I could also make i table resolving fra the ID in the source, to the Groups ID’s in Mailchimp. 

This is my options in the group dropdown. How should I format the input to the group field, for the groups to be set in Mailchimp.

Thanks.

Jacob

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jacob Mondrup 

For example, if you are trying to map dynamic values, then the value of the variable needs to match the bottom value for an option in the dropdown list.

Thanks for the replies.

1. If I send in a TXT value of “CRM ROLE / KEY CONTACTS→Center Board Member” it will set that group to yes? 
  2. Can I send more that one, and separate them with comma?

PS: I’m extra puzzled about the arrow character :-)

hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thanks for your patience and answers. But I still can’t make the syntax work. Should there really be such a arrow og did I misunderstand?

I have tried

CRM ROLE / KEY CONTACTS Center Board Member

CRM ROLE / KEY CONTACTS, Center Board Member

CRM ROLE / KEY CONTACTS → Center Board Member

But nothing works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jacob Mondrup 

This is the expected value. (arrow included)

The values need to be structured as an array.

Try this Zap action: Formatter > Utilities > Text to Line Items

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thanks again for you reply. I feel it's getting close. The formatter is working translating the number values from the source to the specific TXT (I think). But how do I make the arrow? :-)

Best Regards

Jacob

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jacob Mondrup 

Hello @Troy Tessalone ! I have the same problem as @Jacob Mondrup and I can’t make it work either.

My original data comes from a CRM where we can choose multiple values for the field corresponding to my groups in Mailchimp. 

Can you help please ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @CommMMS 

If the data from Step 1 is an array of items already, then you may not need a Formatter step.

If the data from Step 1 is a string, then you may need to try this Zap action: Formatter > Text to Line Items

Thanks for the reply @Troy Tessalone ! I tried both options (with and without the Formatter > Text to Line Items) and nothing happens in Mailchimp :( 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CommMMS 

If testing with the Zap ON, check the Zap Runs to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

@Troy Tessalone  : Zapier indicates everything is running smoothly, but still no dice.

Data In seems to be fine, but I can’t see anything related to the groups in the data out. All the Intesrests ID are false.

Nothing get checked in Mailchimp...

Any idea why ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CommMMS 

Maybe try this workaround.

Create a Mailchimp Customer Journey triggered by a Tag to then add the user to a Group.

@Troy Tessalone : I thought about it, but Zapier only allows me to “add” tags and not replace/delete already added. The tags are then permanent and won’t be updated by my CRM...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CommMMS 

You can add/remove Tags in a Mailchimp Customer Journey: https://mailchimp.com/help/use-tag-untag-actions/

Also, there is a Zap action: Mailchimp - Remove Subscriber from Tag

@Troy Tessalone 

Yes, indeed, but it would mean a path in Zapier or many many Zaps. I’d rather something allowing me to “Replace all tags”. 

Do you have more insights about what I could be doing wrong with the groups?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CommMMS 

You’d have to explore using the Mailchimp API to replace all tags.

https://mailchimp.com/developer/

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CommMMS 

Try using a temp Zap step to find a Mailchimp Subscriber that has Groups to see how the Group values are formatted.

@Troy Tessalone It seems the Groups/interests are formated with the interest IDs + true/false. But according to Mailchimp, the only way to get the information (other than the workaround through Zap by trial and errors) is with the API. Since I’m looking for a solution my client can easily update, I don’t think it could work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CommMMS 

Yeah sometimes an advanced approach is needed to use an app’s API to get/set data.

If the Groups won’t be changing, then it would be a one-time exercise to get all the Interest IDs.