Question

How do I auto-generate a document in Clio when a new matter is created using Zapier?

• 4 March 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi I have created multiple Document templates within CLIO. How do I make a Zap that auto generates one of them when a new matter is created? The trigger I am using is “When a new matter is created”, and I presume the action is “upload document into matter”

Any ideas?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @hwong88 

If there is not an available Zap action to use, then you may have to try an advanced approach with the Clio API via one of these Zap actions:

• Custom Action
  • API Request

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @hwong88, the upload document into matter is looking for a file. Looking at Clio’s API docs, I don’t see a way to populate and add a template automatically using the solution Troy suggested. This may be a better question for Clio support.

The best solution I can think of is to build your templates in something like Google Docs, then populate those templates with Clio information. You can create placeholders/merge fields in Google Docs with double brackets like this {{merge_field}}. Then, you’ll use Create Document from Template in Google Docs to populate the template. When you generate the file in Google Drive, you’ll add that file to the matter with a field that says something like File (Exists but not shown).

I know you’ve probably spent a lot of time building out the templates in Clio. I welcome any other ideas from the community.

Best,
Ryan Schweighart
Whole Hart Impact, LLC
whimpact.co
I help businesses with Zapier and HubSpot.