Question

How can I populate Mailchimp lists from a security group in EntraID (AzureAD)?

• 19 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I have a dynamic security group in Azure that is populated with a list of all my current employees. We often need to send out emails to all members of this group, but we need to use MailChimp for that. The problem is that if a member joins/leave this group MailChimp needs to be manually updated, this creates huge discrepancies. I would like to know if anyone has an idea on how to/if it is possible to build this integration. As of now I am able to pull ALL members from of my Azure AD (not a specific group) to Mailchimp. Is there a way to specify which group I want to collect the data from? Also, is there a way to automatically remove members of the list in Mailchimp if they no longer exist in that group?

Thank you so much!

Victor

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community @Victor Lepri! 😁

There doesn’t appear to be any triggers for the Azure Web Apps app you’ve tagged here that would run when a new employee is added or removed. I’m not too familiar with Azure, but is it in anyway connected to Microsoft Teams? In which case perhaps you could use the New Team Member (Microsoft Teams) trigger to trigger a Zap when a new team member joins the group then use a Add/Update Subscriber (Mailchimp) action to add them to the relevant audience in Mailchimp.

There’s a Unsubscribe Email action for Mailchimp you could use to stop the employee email address from being sent further emails, but there isn’t a “removed team member” trigger for Microsoft Teams that you could use. So if the Microsoft Teams app would be an option for you I’d recommend reaching out to our Support team to put in a feature request for that type of trigger to be added. You can contact them here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

If Microsoft Teams isn’t an option then you’ll still need to contact our Support team to open up a feature request for the Azure Web Apps app to have triggers added to allow for the desired workflow. 

As a workaround, perhaps you could try an alternate approach for workflow’s trigger. For example, when someone joins or leaves do you get sent an email requesting that you add/remove the employee that contains their email address? If so, perhaps a Zap could be set up to trigger from those specific emails, extract the email address from them and then use that to automatically unsubscribe them in Mailchimp. 

Do you think that sort of approach could work? 

Userlevel 1

Hi @SamB ,

Thank you for welcoming me to the community! I'll look into your suggestions, I'm also thinking of setting the trigger to happen daily, and feed a Zapier list, where I can have multiple fields being pulled from Azure that is not just the login, but their country location, etc… This might allow me to parse the list of users within Zapier before sending it to Mailchimp.

Removing the users though is a whole other story, I like your suggestion of the workflow trigger, I'll give it a try.

Thank you again, I'll let you know how it goes, and what solution I'm exploring :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That’s a great idea, @Victor Lepri

Yes please do keep us updated on your progress - I’m excited to hear how it goes! 🤗