Question

Google Sheets Trigger & Finding the worksheet

• 14 September 2023
  • 3 replies

I am having difficulties getting my zap to trigger. I receive excel files with contact info that needs to be pulled (Steps3-5). The problem is that I am unsure on how to get the zap to actually trigger. Do I need to just make a fake row so that the entire zap runs? Because I want to parse all the rows, not just the new fake one.

Step 1 - Trigger
Step 2 - Loop for all the rows
Step 3 - Lookup the data in the row
Step 4 - Input into the software I use
Step 5 - Change the value of the lookup row

How do I ensure during step 3 and 5 that the zap is automatically able to find the worksheet? These sheets only ever have one worksheet. Do I need to manually adjust their worksheet names?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

HI @Mish_S 

Good question.

The worksheet ID may be different within each spreadsheet.

The Zap trigger will fire for a new GSheet spreadsheet, but won’t include the data within the spreadsheet.

You’ll have to use other Zap actions to get that data.

Either:

• GSheets - Lookup Row(s)
  • GSheets - API Request

NOTE: The Looping app can only handle a MAX of 500 loop iterations.

My apologies Troy, I’m confused by your answer. For my first question, what would be the easiest method to ensure zaps run for all my sheets? The sheets already being created, should I trigger on row change? The problem is I need it to run on ever sheet without manually selecting which one. Do i have to make one giant sheet and copy the new cells in each time?

My second question, how do I grab the worksheet? Using the spreadsheet ID from step 1 works, but worksheet doesn't have any options in the custom tab.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Mish_S! 👋

Hope you don’t mind me hopping in to lend a hand here! 

For my first question, what would be the easiest method to ensure zaps run for all my sheets? The sheets already being created, should I trigger on row change? The problem is I need it to run on ever sheet without manually selecting which one. Do i have to make one giant sheet and copy the new cells in each time?

The New Spreadsheet trigger should run for each new Google Sheets spreadsheet that is added to your Google Drive. If they are Excel files, not Google Sheets files that may be why they’re not triggering the Zap. If you convert or export them as Google Sheets files do they then trigger the Zap?

Assuming the Google Sheets spreadsheets will always contain less than 500 rows I think you could potentially get rid of the Looping by Zapier action and handle this with a Get Many Spreadsheet Rows and Update Spreadsheet Row(s) Google Sheets action: 
c70bc90e4d444920b5724297d073a153.png

My second question, how do I grab the worksheet? Using the spreadsheet ID from step 1 works, but worksheet doesn't have any options in the custom tab.

The default worksheet (Sheet1) usually has an ID of 0, for example:
733d3ba24784ef4a3fa6a05a256b30c5.png

So you could use the Custom option and enter in the ID number 0 into the field to select the default worksheet. 

Hope that helps. If I’ve misunderstood things here or you run into any further trouble on this just let us know! 🙂