Best answer

How do I set up my Google Sheet so that data goes in the right places?

• 10 August 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi everyone, I'm trying to setup a zap between gmail and google sheets but it's not working quite how I'd like.

I've created a spreadsheet to track our incoming business enquiries (see attached image). The spreadsheet has been setup to calculate various factors (in “enquiries column”). As all our enquiries come through our emails, I'd like to setup a zap that adds these emails to this spreadsheet when they come in so I don't have to do it manually. I've had a play around and setup a couple of zaps, but I'm having the following issues and it's not working how I'd like:

• The email gets added to the first column (I'd like to select the column it gets added to)
  • The email gets added to a random row. I'd like to stipulate which row to start on and have it continue as a new row for each one. 

If anyone can help me get this setup properly it'd be much appreciated! 

icon

Best answer by Danvers 11 August 2022, 11:40

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Takirua Tandem Media!

Google Sheets can be very fussy, and if a spreadsheet isn’t set up in a certain way then it’s likely that your Zap wont act in the way that you expect. In this case, it’s likely that the issue is caused by the w/s and Enquiries columns and the enquiries header at the top, as they look like merged cells. 

If you’d like to have a sheet that looks like this, I’d recommend setting up a separate one for your Zap. The sheet for your Zap should have:

• a single column for each piece of information that you need
  • a single header row (ie just the first row of the sheet has the names of the fields that you need)
  • no merged cells and no empty rows in the middle of the information (ie you can have blank rows at the bottom, but don’t have an empty row then a row with data in it). 

Have the information from Gmail go to that simple sheet and then create a different sheet in the same work book and use lookup functions to pull in the information that you need in the format that you’d like it to be. 

I hope that helps, let us know how you get on!