Best answer

Get files from a website and save it to dropbox to a specific folder.

• 18 January 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Dear community,

I recently discovered Zapier and I love the idea that you can free yourself from your boring daily tasks. However, I have a pretty complex idea and I'm not sure I can execute it myself.

I use a website on a daily basis that draws me floor plans. I save these files into my Dropbox in different folder every time. Once the files are available to download, I receive an email with a job ID. My idea is to set up a Zap that do this automatically. Any suggestion how to do it? Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Balazs

icon

Best answer by jesse 3 May 2022, 05:09

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @BalazsKovacs

Welcome to the community!

So, the first question here is how do you download the files from the website - are they hidden behind a login wall?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes. I need to log in, click on the newest job. Click confirm, and then I have the option to download the files. I have no idea how to start.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@BalazsKovacs - I think you’ll find this very hard to do with Zapier or any tool.

There are various web scrapers that can automate logging in and taking actions on websites, but they are unreliable most times as websites go to lengths to block these robots.

Userlevel 1
Badge

That's a same! I was very excited about this. Thank you for your suggestions anyway, I appreciate it.

Take care!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@BalazsKovacs This is beyond the scope of this forum, but you might try looking into something like Tamper Monkey and hire someone on Upwork etc to build out a script for you that will "click" the button to download the file and place it in a named folder on dropbox. Once it's on dropbox you could trigger a Zap to do different things with the file.

Tampermonkey for Chrome

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@BalazsKovacs - just keep in mind with @PaulKortman that some websites prohibit this sort of thing, so it's worth checking T&Cs of even asking the company... you wouldn't want to get yourself a site ban.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you both, I really appreciate it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just coming in to sum up the advice from this thread!

@BalazsKovacs- I think you’ll find this very hard to do with Zapier or any tool.

There are various web scrapers that can automate logging in and taking actions on websites, but they are unreliable most times as websites go to lengths to block these robots.

@BalazsKovacsThis is beyond the scope of this forum, but you might try looking into something like Tamper Monkey and hire someone on Upwork etc to build out a script for you that will "click" the button to download the file and place it in a named folder on dropbox. Once it's on dropbox you could trigger a Zap to do different things with the file.

Tampermonkey for Chrome

@BalazsKovacs- just keep in mind with @PaulKortman that some websites prohibit this sort of thing, so it's worth checking T&Cs of even asking the company... you wouldn't want to get yourself a site ban.