Question

How do I use Zapier Email Parser with different email formats based on subject lines?

• 17 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello Community,

This is my first post here.

I have used email Parser by Zapier to add data from emails to a spreadsheet in the past.

I have an application that is a little more complex. Let me explain…

I generate enquiries or “leads” and forward them on to a range of customers.

Leads come in via email. There are 2 formats for the email, depending which lead source it came from.

Each email format has a unique word in the subject line. Potentially this could be used as a unique identifier.

I would like to be able to “Zap” the data from the outgoing email into a Google sheet for each customer. I will set up a sperare zapier email for each customer and CC in the outgoing email.

I’m a bit stumped on how to cater for the two different formats of the email. I know that different templates can be set up for zapier emails.

Is there a way to get Zapier to choose Terplate 1 for Email Format 1 and Template 2 for Email Format 2?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @jamesmcnamara. 👋

Welcome to the Community! 🎉 If adding additional templates in Email Parser doesn’t allow both kinds of emails to be parsed correctly perhaps you could have two separate Email Parser mailboxes set up to receive them? Then you could have two separate Zaps, one for handling emails from one lead source. And a second to handle emails from the other lead source.

Alternatively, is the issue more that once the emails are parsed you want to send out an email that uses a specific email format based on the lead’s source?

If so, you do that by using Paths by Zapier to check for the relevant unique word in the subject line. Then have one path that sends an email in Format 1 if it finds a match for the unique word relating to the first lead source. And a second path that sends an email in Format 2 if it finds a match for the unique word relating to the second lead source. It’s also possible to do this sort of branching logic using filters instead of a paths, but it would require the use of two separate Zaps instead of a single Zap.

You can learn more about setting up this kind of branching logic in the following guides:

Hope that helps. If I’ve misunderstood things here or you have any further questions at all do let us know - happy to further assist!