Best answer

email auto reply send to the replyto address and not the from address

• 30 July 2022
  • 3 replies

We are using proton mail and I had hoped that the filter with auto reply would suffice for the needs we have but it seems to not use the replyto address when sending an auto reply.

Basically we receive many e-transfers and the subjects are all the same at the beginning, they all have a generic from address and they have a unique replyto address. 

We need to be able to setup a simple auto reply to reply to these emails replyto addresses as they come in. Is the IMAP Zapier function a good place to start and can it specify to auto reply to the replyto address and not the from address?

Thanks for any help on this!

icon

Best answer by Danvers 1 August 2022, 11:53

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @nfdesign!

Can I check I’ve understood what you need here? You’d like an autoreply for your proton mail inbox, and a) you only want it to autoreply to certain emails and not all of them and b) you want to send the reply to the replyto email address. Is that right? 

Trigger: IMAP by Zapier New Email

Action: Filter by Zapier (search by one of the fields that differentiates these emails from others)

Action: SMTP by Zapier - Send Email

The data that you get from the IMAP New Email trigger does include the replyto address, so you can use that as the ‘to’ email address in the SMTP step. 

Hope that helps!

Hi @Danvers !

Thanks for the post, that was pretty much what I was looking for. However I now have a new roadblock as it seems protonmail doesn’t support basic IMAP without using some sort of Bridge installed on a computer to sue your favourite email app.

This does not help me with setting up the IMAP byu Zapier Trigger and there is no Proton Mail trigger setup in Zapier.

Has anyone figured out a workaround for this? I was thinking of possibly forwarding the email from protonmail but then I would lose the replyto email address that is needed to send the auto reply from Zapier.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @nfdesign just stepping in for Danvers here! Hmm, I’m not really sure of a way around this and after a quick Google search, it appears many folks are having trouble actually getting auto-forwarding to work in Proton due to the end-to-end encryption on their end. 😕 I will leave this thread open incase anyone has any other ideas to share with you. If you end up figuring something out, let us know!