Best answer

CSV Download into Database

• 24 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone! I'm new to Zapier, but wanted to see if my use case was possible. There's a website that has a CSV file that you can download. It's updated on a monthly basis and the file name or link doesn't change. Each month, I have to manually click on the link, download the CSV and then upload the results to a database. I'd like to be able to automate that process. Is that something Zapier can do?

icon

Best answer by Liz_Roberts 31 March 2020, 20:41

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there! Welcome to the community!

What you're trying to do is certainly possible, but it may depend on a few things. If you could share with us a link to this site, I'm sure I (or someone else) will be able to help further

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Vinnie! You can certainly take a csv and upload it to a database using Zapier, the tricky bit will be downloading it from the website.

I think you'll likely have to download the file to somewhere like Google Drive/Dropbox and then Zapier can take over and automate things from there.

Let us know if you'd like some more detail on how that would work!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

A lot of the time, websites that provide CSV files to download, can then be accessed via an API request. I'd go to the site, open up your developer tools, (right-click -> inspect in Chrome or Option+Cmd+C), go to 'Network', and then click to export the CSV. If it isn't a button, just keep the inspect tool open and then visit the site.

As Saastronomical mentioned above, please post the site link (if possible) and we can investigate further. If a request is possible, you can then use the Webhooks by Zapier utility to grab the CSV (maybe).

Userlevel 1

Thank you. I will give your input a try. Have a great day!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Vinnie ,

Circling back to summarize the above suggestions and to make sure you were able to automate this workflow!

Solutions summary:

• Download file (to GoogleDrive/Dropbox) for Zap to access

OR

• Access via API request (opening up dev tools→ Network → Export CSV/keept inspection tool open while visiting site)  

Please let us know if you have any additional questions!