Question

ChatGPT4 chat history to Google Doc

• 20 March 2023
  • 3 replies

First time user of Zapier, I’d like to know if anyone succeeded setting up a backup function of Chat GPT chat history?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to Zapier @ZVZ! 🙂

It looks like the ChatGPT app has a New Conversation action which starts a new chat, generates a response, and stores the message as you go. So it could output the details of new chat conversations started via the Zap and allow you to add that into Google Docs.

But it doesn’t look like it’s currently possible to set up a Zap to run an automatic backup of all the existing chat history into a Google Doc though. So if that’s more what you’re looking to do here I’d recommend reaching out to our Support team. They’ll be able to open up a feature request for the ability to generate a backup/export the chat history to be added to the ChatGPT app. That’ll allow us to contact you the minute that feature becomes available. 

That said, I did some checking on the current API endpoints available for chats and it doesn’t seem that OpenAI currently provide a way of exporting a backup of the history. So I’d also recommend reaching out to OpenAI directly about this as well. 

Sorry to not have an immediate solution here but hope this helps to clarify what’s possible. If you find a workaround for generating a backup of the chat history in the meantime, please do let us know! 

Userlevel 1

I have used ChatGPT to provide a number of responses but if you want to keep context of the previous conversation then you need to include a unique ID in the Memory Key field. This allows the AI to take the previous trainings, prompts, and its responses into account. heard in mind that ChatGPT3.5 can only remember the last 3000 words of training, prompts and responses in its memory for context.

You can then select the different prompts and associated responses to inject into a Google Doc.  

I hope that helps.

Camo

Thank you all for taking your time to respond to my question. I have generated hundreds of lengthy interactions with GPT and started to backup them manually, but it is both time consuming and about 10% into my backup, Google Doc is choking up (80,000 + words). Hopefully OAI keeps those chat history accessible until a solution emerge or I can find more time to do the manual backups which is coming slower than I create new threads ;/  (Today Bing and I managed to produce a 5000+ words long chat before it quit on me. That was a surprise since Bing only produced short answers thus far. But apparently it likes the philosophical questions and we produced that long thread...