Question

Can I setup the Zap that creates a new folder and attachments when a new row is created in Smartsheet?

• 2 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

This post was split from topic: 

Hi @ken.a,

The Zap you helped me build is working great.  
My team would like to understand if we could take it one step farther.  
The zap is set up to move multiple attachments submitted to a new smartsheet row to a designated G-drive folder.  
Is there a way I could set up the zap so it creates a new folder, under that designated G-drive folder, for new Smartsheet row submission with it’s file attachments?
Hoping to understand which files belong to which submission once they’re in the main G-drive folder without having to refer to the smartsheet and then manually separate them into sub-folders. 

Thank you!

NaNuVS

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @NaNuVS,

You can probably achieve this by adding a “Create Folder in Google Drive” step before the “Upload File in Google Drive” action step. Then, you can map the Folder ID as a custom value from the “Create Folder” step to the “Folder” field in the “Upload File” step. Here’s how it will look like:

e0d51d63c2c8aa7fc1fdfb5f80002040.png
(view larger)

I haven’t tested this out myself, but here’s my general idea of the workflow based on your explanation.

Hopefully, this helps! 😊

Userlevel 1

Hi @ken.a,

I tried your suggestion with no luck.  Do you think it’s because it would be for the transfer of multiple files.  I feel I remember when originally setting up the Zap, i wouldn’t completely work until published or was that just until I had signed on to my team’s account?
Here are some screenshots of how I tried to update the Zap with the extra step of create a folder before the last step of uploading file.  

Anything stand out to you I may have made a mistake on?

Thank you!

NaNuVS

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @NaNuVS,

Based on the screenshot the field mapping looks great. Have you tried skipping the “Upload File” step by clicking on the “Skip test” button and then publish the Zap? Are you still seeing that error when the Zap goes live?

Please let me know how it goes.

Userlevel 1

Hi @ken.a,

I skipped the test for the “Upload File” step and published the Zap.  I had made one small change to the “Create Folder” step to use the Customer name from step 1 as the Folder name.

I published the Zap and tried it out.  I attached 7 files to the row submission.  The zap created 7 different folders in the Gdrive and no files within. Its close but still not transferring the files. 

Screenshots for reference:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @NaNuVS,

Thanks for trying out my suggestion.

I’m not really sure where to go from here, I have been testing your desired workflow, and I couldn’t quite catch it.

I’d recommend reaching out to one of our certified Zapier Experts so that they can streamline your workflow. You can reach them here: https://zapier.com/experts

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

Thank you @ken.a!  I’ll give them a try. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @NaNuVS,

You are most welcome!

I apologize if I wasn’t able to help you with your updated workflow. I hope one of our certified Zapier Experts was able to help you out. 😊

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗