Best answer

Can I make a trigger with a mention in a Slack private channel?

• 7 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Hi community,

I’m trying to create a trigger every time a bot is mentioned in a channel. It works if it’s in a public channel. Is it possible to make it work also in a private channel where the bot has been invited?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 8 May 2023, 20:46

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Badge +1

I just invited the bot to the private channel and it works. Didn’t understand the trigger description since it says just “public channels”. Maybe change it to something like “public channels and invited private channels” : )

Badge +1

Well, I guess it still doesn’t work in Private channels. If I’m in the private channel, the mention@bot will trigger the Zap but if I am not in the channel (I mean the account which created the app), the Zap is not triggered. 

For testing purpose, I gave the bot all permissions that are possible in Slack. But it still doesn’t work.

p.s. In public channel, it works regardless of whether I’m in the channel.

Anyone knows why?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @OliveiraHero,

Before we dig deeper into this, have you tried using the “New Message Posted to Private Channel” trigger for the private channel issue? Maybe you can utilize two Zaps one for public channel and one for private channel.

c3dee7677591b9c1087972521795d7b0.png
(view larger)

Please keep us posted! 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @OliveiraHero!

We have an existing feature request to support private channels for mentions, in addition to the currently-supported public channels. I’ve added your vote to that request, so you’ll be notified via email if/when that gets implemented. 

As a possible workaround, could you try using this trigger:

You could add a filter step after it to ensure that the message contains a mention of the bot you’re interested in. Just an idea! 

Badge +1

Thank you all for the answers! It’ll be great to have the new feature support as the alternative needs a specific channel predefined and costs a lot of “triggers” : )

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @OliveiraHero,

You are most welcome! We’re happy that we we’re able to help.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to post them in the Community. We’re always happy to help! 😊

Hi community,

I’m trying to create a trigger every time a bot is mentioned in a channel. It works if it’s in a public channel ytmp3indir. Is it possible to make it work also in a private channel where the bot has been invited?

Thank you!

Yes, it is possible to make a bot trigger every time it is mentioned in a private channel where the bot has been invited.

When a bot is invited to a private channel, it will receive an authorization token that allows it to access the channel's messages and metadata. The bot can use this token to subscribe to message events in the channel and receive notifications whenever it is mentioned.