Best answer

Action repeatedly firing for single trigger (image in Slack)

• 11 February 2022
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello all.

I have an integration with Slack where I’d like Zapier to monitor a channel for a new image, and then post a message to an “aggregate” channel with a permalink. I work in marketing for my company, and we have multiple people posting on-site photos in multiple channels.

This works fine, as I’ve set up a trigger for a channel, then a filter for filetype, and the output to another channel.

However, when Zapier detects the trigger (me posting an image), it will repeatedly and constantly post the Action or output, and it doesn’t stop. I’m not sure if I missed some kind of setting or checkbox; I know it isn’t some kind of recursive search, because it isn’t posting other previously-posted images.

Adding a delay to the end of the action after queuing also doesn’t help, because it’s just delaying the repeated queuing action for five minutes.

Am I missing something? I feel like the default action should be “One trigger, one action” rather than “One trigger, multiple repeated actions.”

icon

Best answer by MattDemers 15 February 2022, 18:39

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @MattDemers 

Check your Filter step conditions.

You may need to exclude the aggregate channel for the Zap to proceed.

Help article about infinite loops: https://zapier.com/help/troubleshoot/behavior/zap-is-stuck-in-a-loop

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @MattDemers 

Check your Filter step conditions.

You may need to exclude the aggregate channel for the Zap to proceed.

Help article about infinite loops: https://zapier.com/help/troubleshoot/behavior/zap-is-stuck-in-a-loop

I don’t think this is the case, though: the trigger is when a new file is created in a channel (say Channel A); the Zap itself doesn’t create a new file in Channel A, but in Channel B, which isn’t being watched by the Trigger action. I also don’t have any other zaps that would be triggering off of Channel B.

The history and log of the Zap is literally “Image was posted in Channel A” over and over again. Nothing new is being in created in Channel A to further trigger the Zap, which is what’s confusing me.

The only thing in the filter is filetypes (ie, moving forward if it’s a jpg, jpeg, png, etc). But I’ll root around in there to see if there’s some way to stop it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @MattDemers 

Please post screenshots with how your Zap Trigger step and Filter step conditions are configured.

Userlevel 1
Badge
Trigger setup
Filter setup
Action setup 1

Action setup 2

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @MattDemers 

Please post screenshots with how your Zap Trigger step and Filter step conditions are configured.

Could it be the “Trigger when files are shared with you. Please note that this will trigger on created files as well.”? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MattDemers 

You can try adding additional conditions to your Zap Step 2 Filter conditions.

Best to check your Zap Runs to see if there are clues as in the Zap trigger data that would help you identify why the Zap keeps retriggering: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Otherwise, might be best to open a ticket with Zapier Support so they can dig in deeper: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MattDemers 

You can try adjusting that Zap setting as well.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@MattDemers

You can try adjusting that Zap setting as well.

I’m not sure what you mean by this; is there a menu or setting I’m missing that would affect its frequency/sensitivity?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MattDemers 

In the Zap Step 2 Filter you can add additional conditions to make sure the Channel is only the same one you selected in the Zap trigger.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@MattDemers

In the Zap Step 2 Filter you can add additional conditions to make sure the Channel is only the same one you selected in the Zap trigger.

Oh, that’s a great idea, thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Turns out that the Filter wasn’t the issue (like, making sure it was only shared in the home channel). What fixed it was the “Shared” field in the “New File in Slack” trigger was set to “False.”

Because creating a new message in a channel was technically “sharing the photo with me” I guess, it repeated endlessly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for looping back around to update the thread and share your solution, @MattDemers! So glad to see you were able to get it sorted. 🎉