Best answer

Zap to Teams to tag channel or group

• 15 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m trying to setup a zap from LiveChat to Teams now, while I can get the zap to post in the channel I’d like it to tag the channel to force a pop-up notification.

I’ve tried variations of the <at>jane-doe-user-id</at> syntax mentioned elsewhere for tagging individuals, such as 

Channel name : “Live Chat”

Created tag group : “support”

<at>live-chat-channel-id</at>  

<at>support</at>

<at>support-user-id</at>

<at>@channel</at>

etc… but nothing seems to work. I can’t seem to find any other suggested syntax for tagging the channel or the team. 

Any suggestions? Thank you

icon

Best answer by christina.d 8 November 2022, 00:44

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @JamesO'Y 

Believe you need to use the internal ID for the person being mentioned.

Often these internal IDs can be seen in the browser URL or by getting a link to a specific person.

Related reference for a similar concept in Slack: https://zapier.com/help/doc/tips-formatting-your-slack-messages#slack-announcements

Userlevel 1

Hi Troy, thank you so much for responding.

I’ve just tried using a “Link to Channel” URL from Teams, as well as the “<!” styling that was in the Slack article.

Unfortunately they don’t work - I suspect Teams doesn’t yet support an “@” beyond an individual user ID at this stage.

We can work around this by having people in the channel set Notifications options for the Teams Channel to pop-up on all messages in lieu.

It lacks finesse and is a product gap (we just migrated from Slack) but we'll be able to bear with it.

Enjoy the rest of your week!

Userlevel 1

Same problem here. Set up a Zap to MS Teams, but got feedback from my team that it will only be effective if I “@” the team or channel.

Am I right in understanding that at the moment we can @ individuals but not a team or channel?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @DanC - Yes, that is correct. You can @mention individuals but not teams or channels yet.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @steph.n. Is there any way to get a sense of ETA of that feature, or get alerted when it comes through?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Unfortunately they don’t work - I suspect Teams doesn’t yet support an “@” beyond an individual user ID at this stage.

We can work around this by having people in the channel set Notifications options for the Teams Channel to pop-up on all messages in lieu.

It lacks finesse and is a product gap (we just migrated from Slack) but we'll be able to bear with it.

Hey squad, I wanted to revive this old topic to clarify/confirm a few things:

Currently the Microsoft Teams Zapier app only supports the @mention of individual users.

It does not support tagging channels or teams at this time. That said, there is an open feature request for this that I went back and added votes for everyone in this thread. While it doesn’t guarantee implementation, adding votes does ensure you’re emailed when and if this goes live.

We’ll also be sure to update the topic as well. 

Thanks for being active in the community and appreciate everyone sharing their feedback/workarounds!