Collecting data on a google form. Need that to generate a doc from a template (ideally google docs), then send a pdf of that doc via email. Constraints:
- google doc created needs strict permissions (not available to public via url)
- pdf should not be saved at end of process
I’ve setup google doc template, and successfully merged rows from sheets w doc, which creates a doc file that is private.
- Cloud print even using same credentials can’t access the doc correctly and “prints” a login screen to pdf rather than the doc
- convertapi returns “success” without any document payload
- docmerge looks like it might work but is prohibitively priced
- If I use the Drive app in zapier to adjust permissions on doc, I can’t change them back to private at end of zap
- Even if I successfully cloud print the doc to pdf, it saves to root (ok - I can “move” it), and I can’t delete it after emailing it
So, any suggestions? Ideal would be solution that can convert private google doc file to pdf, but not save to docs.
Best answer by BowTieBots
All the solutions I know of from within Zapier requires you to change file permission to public.
In theory you could accomplish this with a google script that gets triggered by a webhook from Zapier.
Happy to give you my create pdf code script if your interested in trying to build out the workflow. Basics would look like:
Trigger in Zapier → Create Doc from Template → Send Doc Id and email address to a GScript Webhook which:
- Makes a pdf
- Sends pdf to email address provided
- Deletes pdf