How to Update Custom Fields on an Asana Task

How to Update Custom Fields on an Asana Task

Show first post

30 replies

Hi guys, I have been trying to set a Zap using a webhook, I followed this tutorial and was doing very well but I realized Zapier changed the Data section and does not accept the Json code, instead, there are fields to enter data (screenshot beow), any idea of what to put there? I know this is a very old post, so the info might not be up to date with the current version of Zapier 

Please help. I’ve read this multiple times and I’m still getting an error code. Not sure what I’m doing wrong?

I get the 400 error code?

Anyone have any luck here?

I am getting an authorization error:

Failed to create a request in Webhooks by Zapier

Not Authorized (HTTP Status Code: 401)

Thanks for all the useful info - very helpful to those of us with a limited coding background!

I think I’ve followed the steps & matched up the formatting, but the Asana custom fields still aren’t populating when I run the test. My Zap is structured to trigger the creation of an Asana task (Action 1) when a Salesforce record is updated (Trigger), and I’ve tried to use the Webhooks custom request as Action 2 to update the custom fields of the task that was just created. I’m wondering if maybe I need to add some sort of delay to ensure the task ID has time to populate? Or if there’s something I’m missing in the JSON coding.

Zap steps:

Current custom request code:

{
"data": {
"custom fields": {
"1203775720782875": "1203791839081826",
"1203790146020630": "{{187322573__Contact_Email__c}}"
}
}
}

The test resolves with no errors but the custom field values remain null, rather than the values that should be input by the code. 

The first line attempts to populate a specific GID for a custom drop-down field choice into that field, and the second line attempts to populate a custom text field. In the JSON preview where I input the code, the “{{187322572__Contact_Email__c}}” displays as the record’s email address, and I populated it by selecting the output from earlier in the task.

Any guidance would be much appreciated, thank you! I will ultimately aim to populate additional custom drop-down fields based on inputs from the Salesforce record, but I suspect I’ll have to add an interim formatter lookup table step to match those inputs to the relevant drop-down GIDs for each custom field, so I was hoping to get the simpler piece set up first :).

I’m also having the same issue!  Not sure what I’m doing wrong here…. 

Wanted to bump this thread. I am attempting to update custom fields in an Asana task. Everything seems to be formatted correctly, no errors returned, but nothing changes in the Asana task. Any recommendations to try and figure out where the issue lies @Jared ?

Thanks for all the useful info - very helpful to those of us with a limited coding background!

I think I’ve followed the steps & matched up the formatting, but the Asana custom fields still aren’t populating when I run the test. My Zap is structured to trigger the creation of an Asana task (Action 1) when a Salesforce record is updated (Trigger), and I’ve tried to use the Webhooks custom request as Action 2 to update the custom fields of the task that was just created. I’m wondering if maybe I need to add some sort of delay to ensure the task ID has time to populate? Or if there’s something I’m missing in the JSON coding.

Zap steps:

Current custom request code:

{
"data": {
"custom fields": {
"1203775720782875": "1203791839081826",
"1203790146020630": "{{187322573__Contact_Email__c}}"
}
}
}

The test resolves with no errors but the custom field values remain null, rather than the values that should be input by the code. 

The first line attempts to populate a specific GID for a custom drop-down field choice into that field, and the second line attempts to populate a custom text field. In the JSON preview where I input the code, the “{{187322572__Contact_Email__c}}” displays as the record’s email address, and I populated it by selecting the output from earlier in the task.

Any guidance would be much appreciated, thank you! I will ultimately aim to populate additional custom drop-down fields based on inputs from the Salesforce record, but I suspect I’ll have to add an interim formatter lookup table step to match those inputs to the relevant drop-down GIDs for each custom field, so I was hoping to get the simpler piece set up first :).

I’m also having the same issue!  Not sure what I’m doing wrong here…. 

Wanted to bump this thread. I am attempting to update custom fields in an Asana task. Everything seems to be formatted correctly, no errors returned, but nothing changes in the Asana task. Any recommendations to try and figure out where the issue lies @Jared ?

Never mind I figured it out. My GID’s were incorrect, of course, off by one number which made it hard to see. I would also suggest using the Asana API (Beta) instead of the Zapier Webhooks. The full response was easier to see and I could see I WAS getting an error back, even though the test was “successful”.