Question

Make sample data dependent on an input field

• 27 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have an Action for looking up a record in my app, in which I have an Input Field with a static Dropdown that allows the zap builder to pick the object. (It works just like the Find Record action in the Salesforce integration)

Since this one Action can be used for 10 different objects, I have limited the Sample Data to the only field that every object will have, which is the ID.

Now when creating a Zap Template that uses this Action, it is giving me errors because I don’t have Sample Data for the object I’m using in the Template. For example:

• I want to filter on whether the record has a Salesforce Opportunity ID, but the filter gives an error if I don’t specify a Sample Data field.
  • I want map fields in subsequent steps but can’t do it without Sample Data.

Is there a way to make my Sample Data dynamic so it changes depending on which object is selected in the Object Input Field?

Are there any other ways to make Templates with Actions for generic objects? Or do I have to create a Find Record Action for every object in my app? 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @jeffernst 

Topics about building a Zap app integration should be posted in the Developer Discussion category: https://community.zapier.com/developer-discussion-13

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@jeffernst Unfortunately, no. The nature of the sample field is that they are static, and that they are the contract for what your trigger/action will provide in each and every result, regardless of user or input parameters.  Sounds like they way you’ve designed it, it’ll work just fine for normal usage, but Zap Templates only rely on the samples, as templates have to be usable by anyone. The only thing I can think of is to break those into separate triggers/actions - one for each object type returned. 

I can see the merit in having more dynamic samples for cases like yours, but that’d be a pretty involved change, so we’re left with working within these constraints for the foreseeable future.