Question

Migrate to a newer version of an app

• 14 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello everybody,

I have 32 zaps in my list which use an older version of the Moco app. I also have 11 zaps which already use the latest Moco app. Editing a zap in order to use the latest Moco version apparently would take quite a bit of time. The problem is that I don’t have that much time during my daily routine.

Now I had the idea to export all zaps into a JSON file and perform a search & replace job on the selected_api and the authentication_id. After that, I would import the JSON file.

I assume everything would get overwritten and would (hopefully) still work as intended. Has anyone ever tried this? Or is there a better way to assign a newer app version to all 32 zaps?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Sakis

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Sakis, welcome to the Community!

I think that this would be the easiest way to change the app for a number of Zaps at the same time. One thing to be aware of is that the fields in the new Moco app might be different from the legacy one. Even if they look the same, they may have different names in the code. I’d recommend checking the fields in the new app before going ahead with the export. 

I’ve not tried this myself but assuming that the selected_api and authentication_id fields are correct, I can’t see any reason why it shouldn’t. When you import the json files, they will create new Zaps in a private folder and not overwrite the old ones. 

You can read more about what to expect when you import Zaps in this help guide: Import and Export Zaps in your Team or Company account

​I hope that helps, please let us know if you have any questions!

Hi Danvers,

Thanks for your reply! OK, so an import would work and be non-destructive, that’s good news.

I did some rearch on the Moco app but I couldn’t find any helpful information on how to compare fields or the code itself. Can you give me a hint where to search for details?

Thanks,

Sakis

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Sakis 

I’d recommend making a duplicate of an Zap that would need to be updated, then testing the export/update/import of the JSON to see if that works before making changes to the live Zaps.