Question

Docusign send envelope from Document (Solved)

• 17 December 2023
  • 2 replies

In response to the post above: 

Even if you upload a new document, I recommend you set an empty template with a role for the recipient. Leave the name and email empty for this role since we’ll fill it here in the API request. Just give a name to the role. Once it’s done look at your URL bar and copy the template ID.

Now paste this in the requests body:

{

"status": "sent",

"emailSubject": "{{YOUR SUBJECT}}",

"emailBlurb": "{{YOUR MESSAGE}}",

"templateId": "{{TEMPLATE ID}}",

"documents": [

{

"documentId": "1",

"name": "{{DOCUMENT NAME}}",

"fileExtension": "pdf",

"documentBase64": "{{BASE64 STRING}}”

}

],

"templateRoles": [

{

"email": "{{RECIPIENT EMAIL}}",

"name": "{{RECIPIENT NAME}}",

"roleName": "{{ROLE NAME AS DEFINED EARLIER}}"

}

]

}

Note that you’ll need to encode your document in Base 64 format. In my case I had a PDF URL from a previous Google Docs step in my Zap. You can do that by going to thebase64.com > Signup > Grab your API secret > And add a Base 64 step in your Zap just before Docusign. It’s free and fast.

If you want to add a “Sign Here” field in your Docusign document (to make it easier for the recipient), add a comma at the end of the “roleName” line + the following code:

"tabs": {

"signHereTabs": [

{

"documentId": "1",

"pageNumber": "{{THE PAGE NUMBER WHERE YOU WANT THE FIELD}}",

"xPosition": "100",

"yPosition": "100"

}

]

}

As to “xPosition” and “yPosition”, just make tests and play around to find the right spot.

That’s it! Thanks :)

Adrien

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Hi, thanks for your post. I have the same need to send a dynamic document to docusign. I’m having the following issue with the code above… Any thoughts on how I can fix? Thank you!

Failed to create a http request in DocuSign

Raw request failed. Problem executing your request: undefined: INVALID_REQUEST_BODY: The request body is missing or improperly formatted. After parsing a value an unexpected character was encountered: {. Path 'templateRoles', line 27, position 2.

Hi, thanks for your post. I have the same need to send a dynamic document to docusign. I’m having the following issue with the code above… Any thoughts on how I can fix? Thank you!

Failed to create a http request in DocuSign

Raw request failed. Problem executing your request: undefined: INVALID_REQUEST_BODY: The request body is missing or improperly formatted. After parsing a value an unexpected character was encountered: {. Path 'templateRoles', line 27, position 2.

Thanks for reaching out. It looks like you let an extra “{“ sneak into the request body. Could you supply a screenshot so I can better guide you?