Question

Creating a Slack Webhook

• 7 August 2023
  • 9 replies

The usecase i have is that i have a slack slash command when send posts to a web hook in zapier . the slack command works like this /assemble {"question" : "what are the goals of tipping and services involved in building it “} I have to format the piece after assemble so that zapier can read it . i was wondering if there was a way i can just send /assemble what are the goals of tipping and the webhook can read the parameter I also was wondering if i am able to send a custom response to slack when zapier receives the webhook

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @willc 

Good question.

You have to configure a Slack App to then be able to configure responses back to Slack via the Slack API.

https://api.slack.com/apps/

thank you Troy . a follow up as to the first part of question. is there any way for zapier to read a question like this 
/assemble “what are the goals of tipping”. Currently it looks like web hook can only read json data like {"question" : "what are the goals of tipping and services involved in building it “}

also for above i have the slack app, what i was wondering if i can send a custom web hook response from Zapier

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@willc 

When the Slack App is configured I believe it will send data to the webhook in the proper JSON format.

It’s been a while since I configured this for a client, so I don’t have all the details fresh anymore.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@willc

Also for above i have the slack app, what i was wondering if i can send a custom web hook response from Zapier

Yes, that’s possible, but that’s an advanced approach and a bit involved to configure.

any documentation you can point to which i can leverage?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@willc 

Unlikely there is specific documentation for the Slack App w/ Zaps.

The Slack API has lost of documentation to reference for guidance.

any examples i can use . currently the webhooks in zapier doesnt seem to allow a custom response

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@willc 

Try this Zap action: Webhooks - Custom Request