Question

App Extensions and dynamic drop down values for Microsoft Dynamics 365 CRM

• 4 August 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m aware App Extensions is a new feature, but is there any documentation on being able to use the pre-defined triggers for dynamic drop downs in App Extensions. I can see the note around this on the App Extensions editor states:

Note: dynamic dropdowns are powered by pre-defined app triggers and therefore not all API data objects are supported. Example: channel.id refers to Slack Channel Ids returned from the Slack Trigger

Using Microsoft Dynamics 365 CRM as an example, let’s say I want to build an App Extension that is similar to the Create Lead action from the public app but the body data is customised because the payload data needs to be modified for our CRM environment in order to successfully send the data. Can I utilise dynamic drop downs like the Create Lead action does on fields like Boolean, Picklist, Lookup etc?

Is there any documentation on the pre-defined app triggers for public apps or will there be? As the App Extension is linked to the public app and our connection, I’d assume the same API calls are still occurring to be potentially used. I’ve been trying to determine the pattern from some trial and error:

Dynamic input must follow the pattern 'contact' or 'contact.name' or 'contact.name.first'. Only a-z, A-Z, 0-9, and _ are allowed

This at least gives me a clue what the format should be, but I have no idea what is available to begin with (if anything).

In this case, what is the main object that contains field data from the lead entity?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge

With a bit of trial and error I’ve found that the lead object followed by the field name e.g. lead.field seems to work, it provides the values but without labels, so it’s close but not quite right, I assume behind the scenes there is a query being made to EntityDefinitions or similar to obtain these values.