Question

Airtable to Gmail Zap sending all four email versions without any boxes being checked

• 11 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi Everyone,

I'm facing an unexpected issue with our Zap connections involving Drupal, Airtable, and Gmail, and I could really use your insights.

What's Working:

• Drupal to Airtable: We have a Drupal application form on a webpage, and a zap copies each submission onto an Airtable sheet (using Catch Hook in Webhooks by Zapier > Create Record in Airtable). This part is working perfectly.

What's Not Working:

• Airtable to Gmail: On Airtable, I've set up 4 checkboxes, each with a corresponding last modified timestamp. The goal is for a timestamp to populate whenever we check a box, which then triggers a zap to send a corresponding email from Gmail (New or Updated Record in Airtable > Send Email in Gmail).
  • Problem: This was working with test submissions, but when we went live, it started automatically sending all 4 email versions to applicants without any boxes being checked.

I've turned off the Airtable > Gmail zaps for now but am at a loss as to why this issue is happening.

Has anyone encountered something similar or have any suggestions on what might be going wrong?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Chelseaalterman 

Good question.

Please post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Guessing you are using the Airtable New or Updated Record Zap trigger.

That will trigger on NEW record or when records are UPDATED.

Make sure to set a View with Filters as part of the Zap config.

Thanks Troy! I think I have this part set up correctly - could you spot check me? One zap example below:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Chelseaalterman 

The Zap will trigger for NEW or UPDATED records in this View.

Make sure the View has the correct Filters step for the conditions you want the Zap to run.

If I set up the timestamp field in Airtable to populate only when I check a certain box, shouldn't the Zap trigger only in response to that specific change? Why is the Zap being triggered by any new Airtable record coming in, rather than just the designated checkbox action?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Chelseaalterman

The Zap trigger is NEW or Updated Record.

So it will trigger for NEW record in the View and it will trigger for UPDATED records in the View based on the updated field specified.

So you likely need to add Filter conditions to the Airtable View so that new records only trigger when the desired conditions are met. (i.e. a a field is checked)

Got it, ok thank you, Troy!

Hi @Chelseaalterman 

Good question.

Please post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Guessing you are using the Airtable New or Updated Record Zap trigger.

That will trigger on NEW record or when records are UPDATED.

Make sure to set a View with Filters as part of the Zap config. Focusautodetailing

I have a zap that triggers when a new blog post is published on WordPress (WordPress > New Post) and successfully creates a Trello card with the post details (Trello > Create Card). This part is functioning perfectly.
The challenge arises when I want to notify my team on Slack about the new Trello card (Trello > New Card in List) containing the blog post information. Despite setting it up correctly, the zap sends multiple Slack messages for a single Trello card creation, leading to unnecessary spam in our Slack channel.