Best answer

Google Docs is Not Detecting My DOCSX When Using "New Document in Folder"

• 29 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I am checking out Zapier and it has been awesome. Except for one thing: I am having trouble getting my docsx detected in Google Docs / Google Drive. 

Here is my setup:

I have a writer that sends me 20 to 50 pieces of articles everyday (in docsx format). The way we operate is that I send him an email with the topics for each article like:

Topic 1

Topic 2

Topic 3

Topic 50..

And then he sends me back an email with the 50 pieces of articles attached into the email. I then click “download all attachments” and go into my merry way into manually posting each articles on my website.

After doing this for one month now, I am beginning to think that I don’t want to keep on doing this for the rest of my life. That’s why I looked for alternatives and found Zapier, and it really solves my problem since i can even make Google Docs communicate with my Wordpress site. But the thing is, my writer doesn’t write the articles directly into Google Docs. He uses Microsoft Word on his desktop and just attaches those articles into his email to me.

I am setting up my Zapier workflow now like I am downloading all attachments. And then going to G Drive, and dropping those articles into a folder. I then make a Zap to "New Document in Folder" and then connect that to Wordpress. The problem is, when I am doing this, Zapier is not detecting the DOCSX that I dropped in that specific folder. It only detects "New Document in Folder" when the document (article) was written directly into Google Docs.

I have been trying to do this since last night and it is really the only thing that’s preventing me from buying a plan. Everything else works wonderfully. Except this. When I try test the trigger it just says that there was no document found. But when I make a test post via Google Docs directly, then the trigger test picks up on it.

I’ve selected the right Folder in G drive. I’ve also tried doing this in root but still the same.

I tried changing the app from Google Docs to Google Drive but still, it doesn’t detect the files that I drop, according to the trigger test.

I tried Asana for this but it seems overkill for my simple bulk article operation. Are there any platform that integrates with Zapier that you guys think will give me a better workflow?

Due to bulk articles, it’s gonna become a hassle to check the articles submitted a few months ago. I just need something simple that is geared towards article creation. I have no need for complex project management tools, as useful as they are.

Also, is there a way for Zapier to extract the content of my DOCSX files so that I can put it in Wordpress? I tried with Dropbox, Google Drive and Asana by capturing their Attachment URL and putting it in my Wordpress content area but it just shows me a link going to the public viewable page of that DOCSX. I can never get the Plain_text option like when I am using Google DOCSX as a trigger.

Apologies for the multiple question on a trial account. I am really lost right now as I have always been a lone wolf when it comes to my online ventures and I am just now learning about this collaboration tools and such (including Google Docs lol).

Thank you so much in advance to anyone that can help me. Have a nice day everyone! :)

icon

Best answer by olivialook 29 October 2020, 18:30

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

You might need to use something like ConvertAPI with Zapier (triggered when a new Word Doc comes in) to convert the DOCX file into a Google Doc, then work with the Google Doc from there.

Userlevel 1

You might need to use something like ConvertAPI with Zapier (triggered when a new Word Doc comes in) to convert the DOCX file into a Google Doc, then work with the Google Doc from there.

I checked it out but I don’t see any options for converting it into a Google Doc? According to G, there is no file format for Google Doc. May I ask how to proceed with this? I will also try their free plan to check it out. Thanks.

Userlevel 1

Finally found a way to make it happen :relieved:

This just took my operation to another level. Mind-blowing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@buildersasia so glad you cracked this one! Would love to hear how you set up your configuration- I’m sure other folks would find this handy as well!