Best answer

Dynamic account lookup with Zapier

• 22 January 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello!

I'm new to using Zapier, and I'm attempting to automate the following process:

User orders a meal plan in Shopify

Shopify sends data to Zapier, then to Monday.com (a task/project management tool, glorified Excel)

Zapier should then look for a corresponding Pulse (Row) that matches the name of the person placing the order.

I have 2 steps that filter for either: New Customers or Returning Customers based on their order history, so it will either tell Zapier to create a new Pulse (this is done and tested, super easy) or find the already-existing record in Monday and update appropriate amounts/plan type/order date/etc...

I'm unable to figure out the "Search for user by Pulse ID" step, and would appreciate any insight in how I might go about finishing that part.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by AndrewJDavison_Luhhu 22 January 2020, 20:17

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

So @johnnyacroseed - the problem is, you'll need the ID of the pulse to update it, but Monday.com doesn't have any search steps to allow you to find the pulse and get that I'd.

A bummer, right?

To solve this, edit the zap that creates the new pulse for the new customer. One of the output values will be the pulse ID.

You then want to create a Google Sheet and add a step that writes that ID to the sheet in one column, alongside the customer's email address in another column.

Your existing customer zap will then search said Google Sheet by customer email address - then you'll have the pulse ID.

Userlevel 1

Seems to make sense to me!

I'll give this a try and see how it goes, thanks!

Userlevel 3

@johnnyacroseed try Lookup Table under Formatter -> Utilities. Zapier has a great article on how to use it – it's great. One less step, no need for Google Sheets and does the same thing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@markymark what you are suggesting here won't work as @johnnyacroseed is trying to share the information between different zaps and dynamically add to the "look up table" so using a google sheet (or other spreadsheet/database like app) is the solution that would work.