Question

Zapier will not "find new records"

• 18 March 2024
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

I placed two test events on the calendar for the Zap I built (and have been successfully running) but when I click “Find New Records” Zapier keeps returning the records found on 3/13, not giving me an updated list of event options to run the test. Any idea why this is not updating/repopulating? I also tried searching for events that say Test and got no results. What’s the point of “find new records” if it’s going to keep giving me the same four records from five days ago?

Full context: the Zap is designed to notify me via WhatsApp 12 hours before any meeting outside my core business hours (after 17:00-11:59 or 00:00-07:59). This has been working great. I am now trying to adjust to include all meetings on Saturday or Sunday. The problem exisited prior to me editing the Zap and happens across all my Zaps, not just this one.

I searched the FAQ, Community, and Support posts and could not resolve.

Thank you!

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @NicL 

Try turning the Zap ON and testing live, then check your Zap Runs history to see the DATA IN/OUT for each step to help you troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Help articles for GCal Zap app: https://zapier.com/apps/google-calendar/help

Find Event action isn't finding my event

Google Calendar may not find an event if the name or description contains an underscore _. When trying to find an event that contains an underscore, the Search Term field will only work if it's an exact match, or uses one of the other terms in the title or description field.

actionEdit icon Example

If your event is called "Meeting with zapier_team", the Zap will find it with the following terms:

• meeting
  • zapier_team

It won't find the event if the search terms are "zapier" or "team".

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@NicL 

If you are trying to find and return more than 1 GCal Event, then you would need to use the GCal API via one of these advanced approaches:

• Custom Action
  • API Request

Userlevel 1

I am using Outlook, not Google. The Zap is on, has been on for over two weeks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@NicL 

Outlook has similar limitations and workaround options.

Userlevel 1

Thank you @Troy Tessalone - this has not resolved the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@NicL 

We would need to see updated screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured in EDIT mode to have more context.

Userlevel 1

@NicL

We would need to see updated screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured in EDIT mode to have more context.

Can you explain the need for this? I don’t understand what the rest of the process has to do with this. The Zap has been working - it still works - it just won’t refresh and give any updated test events.

The screenshot shared is after asking it to find new events this morning, and it’s returning results still originally found on 3/14 (as shown in the screenshot). Per the statement on the Zap: “We will load up to 3 most recent records, that have not appeared previously” but that is not happening - everything being shown was previously there.

I don’t need help with the Zap EXCEPT that the “find new records” button is not giving me any new records, it is giving me records found a week ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@NicL 

Some Zap triggers only return representative trigger examples in order for the user to be able to configure the Zap actions.

Try turning the Zap ON and testing live, then check your Zap Runs history for the DATA IN/OUT for each step to help you trace the data flow and troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Otherwise, we would need to see screenshots with how the Zap steps are outlined and configured in order to have full context.

Userlevel 1

UPDATE: Per Zapier Support: It isn't always possible to load new records after the Zap has been set up, and I'm afraid we aren't able to manually add new records as well. However, if new test records are needed it may help to duplicate the Zap and try to load them from there. Then the original Zap would no longer be needed. 

This said, I duplicated the Zap and still cannot pull up the events I want to use to test either organically, through manual search, or by asking the Zap to load new records. I am continuing to dialogue with Mary for assistance. I will update if there’s a solution found.