Skip to main content
Question

Zapier Email Parser to PDF.co: Issue with saving emails in HTML format as PDF

• 15 July 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello I’m using Zapier to automate saving emailed receipts as PDF using a file naming format that must include vendor name, date and amount. So I’m using Zapiers Email Parser to extract that data and Formatters to format it into the needed file name. The problem I’m trying to solve is saving the email in HTML format as a PDF using PDF.co however Email Parser only outputs plain text not HTML.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Pjgadmin 👋

The problem I’m trying to solve is saving the email in HTML format as a PDF using PDF.co however Email Parser only outputs plain text not HTML.

It sounds like you’re wanting to convert the contents of a HTML email into a PDF and keep it’s HTML formatting is that correct?

That being the case should the PDF always have the same formatting, or are you looking to keep the existing formatting that’s in the original email that’s forwarded?

If it’s going to have the same exact HTML formatting every time then you could potentially enter that into the PDF.co action and just select the values that would change such as the vendor name from the Email Parser trigger.

If the HTML needs to be taken from the email itself it might be worth using a different trigger instead of Email Parser and then extract the necessary content from the email to get the vendor name, date and amount. Perhaps a Formatter (Text > Extract pattern) action could be used to extract the necessary content. See these guide to learn more:

Would either of those approaches be a viable option here?