Question

Zapier changing name of target Google Sheet

Userlevel 1

Hello all,

I am having an issue where it seems like Zapier is repeatedly changing the name of a target spreadsheet.

When initially setting up the Zap it was called testing_MEMBER LIST. When I was done with the testing I changed it to just MEMBERS LIST and update the Zap. It worked fairly smoothly for a week or two and then the staff I handed it over to started complaining about intermittent issues. Eventually, she said it wasn’t working at all.

I reached out to Zapier support and they “helpfully” pointed out that the Zap was pointing to testing_MEMBER LIST while the Google Sheet was called MEMBERS LIST. I was confused as I could of sworn I changed it all, but diligently update the Zap to the correct Google Sheet target, activated it and then updated the Google Sheet in such a way as to activate the Zap.

I just came back to check a couple of days later and 1-2 of the rows were moved on the Google Sheet and around 11 that should have, were not. I then went back to the Zap and low-and-behold the target has changed back to testing_MEMBERS LIST!!

I have updated Zapier Support on this, however, I am wondering in the meantime if anyone else has had this issue, and if so, any tips on how to stop it happening or workarounds that don’t involve re-creating the Zap from scratch..

Regards,

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hello @Phil Leysley 

Did you check the google sheet history?

Maybe your team is changing the sheet name because in my case it happened in the past.

Zapier can never change the Spreadsheet Name directly.

I would highly recommend you to share View Only access to team members when you are using a sheet in automations

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Phil Leysley 

Good question.

Check the Zap Runs history to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot the issue: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Userlevel 1

Hello @Satya09, thanks for taking the time to respond. You seem to have misunderstood my issue. The name of the spreadsheet only changed once, a month ago when I changed it. The issue is that the name in the target “Spreadsheet” box on Zapier keeps changing back; I change it, run the Zap, it works, then a day or two later it has changed its name back.

@Troy Tessalone I checked the history and didn’t see any information there that seemed relevant - any tips on what I should be looking out for?

Thanks again,

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Phil Leysley 

You should be looking for the Worksheet ID that was used in the Zap Run to verify it was or was not the expected Worksheet ID.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Phil Leysley - I wanted to drop in and mention I can see you were able to open a ticket with my friends in support and ya’ll are currently working on a solution together.

You’re in great hands. Please continue to keep us updated on your success! 

I am having this exact problem - was there a resolution?