Best answer

ZAP not triggering - subscribers not flowing through to Zapier and flodesk

• 20 April 2023
  • 9 replies

I have added a newsletter block to my squarespace website for people to subscribe to.

Once they subscribe it should trigger zapier and info is then sent to my email campaign platform ‘flodesk’ and the subscriber receives the email.

This is not happening. Zapier is connected to Squarespace and it shows it’s connected. I have spoken to squarespace and they have troubleshooted and said it’s not an issue on their side.

When I run a ‘test’ within zapier platform - it works and the subscriber information is updated in flodesk. Zap history is also logged as successful. But when I manually enter the subscriber info into the newsletter block on my website - it’s not triggering. I have checked within squarespace and I can see that the information is being collected.

I originally registered with zapier with my personal email which I wanted to change to my business email. I have since disconnected and deleted the personal email. Reset everything and generated new API key etc and re-integrated everything. 

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 20 April 2023, 02:24

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @jf1991 

Welcome to the Community! I'm sorry you’re having trouble with your Zap.

Upon checking, to be able to use the Squarespace integration, a paid Website Business plan or higher is required. Do you have a paid plan with Squarespace?

Here’s a helpful article: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496018184845-Common-Problems-with-Squarespace-on-Zapier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @jf1991,

You mentioned that you’re seeing successful runs in the Zap history. If so, that can only happen from the published Zap running, and not from testing within the Zap editor. Those tests don’t register in the Zap history.

So that would seem to indicate that the Zap does work at least some of the time? One thing to check is make sure that on the Flodesk step you’ve mapped the email address and name fields from your trigger step, as opposed to typing information manually.

It’s not uncommon for people to type values in there for testing, then publish the Zap with the typed in values, rather than mapping the appropriate fields from the trigger step (in your case, Squarespace).

Can you double-check that?

Hi Brem,

Yes - I have a paid business plan with squarespace. I have also looked into it more and have realized a couple of things. 

I checked the ZAP history and it seems it has been working (I have attached the test that the squarespace representative tried when troubleshooting - I have blacked out my email address for security). The data out is showing the information entered in squarespace form but the data in is showing MY information - so I think it’s getting added to flodesk with my information and not the subscribers.

The problem is that when I’m creating the ‘Action’ in Zapier I have to enter the email (which is required) and then First Name and Last Name (see screenshot). I was entering MY information here as I thought it was for the test and also the email is mandatory.

But it looks like the submissions from squarespace website have been going through but are flowing through to flodesk with my information and not the subsribers - likely because my information is filled in in the action section.

How do I complete the action section if I don’t know what the information of the subscriber is going to be and the email is mandatory?

Hi @jf1991,

You mentioned that you’re seeing successful runs in the Zap history. If so, that can only happen from the published Zap running, and not from testing within the Zap editor. Those tests don’t register in the Zap history.

So that would seem to indicate that the Zap does work at least some of the time? One thing to check is make sure that on the Flodesk step you’ve mapped the email address and name fields from your trigger step, as opposed to typing information manually.

It’s not uncommon for people to type values in there for testing, then publish the Zap with the typed in values, rather than mapping the appropriate fields from the trigger step (in your case, Squarespace).

Can you double-check that?

I have just realized exactly what you are explaining! How do I map the fields correctly instead of typing values?

Attached is a screenshot for all of the options I have for ‘insert data’

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @jf1991,

When you click into the box for the email address, you then see the available data from the Squarespace form (as your screenshot shows). You would choose the one that’s most appropriate.

In your case, they’ll pretty much be a 1:1 match :) I’ve highlighted what you would use for Email, and then pointed out what you’d use for the first and last name fields in Flodesk, assuming they’re both available to fill out.

Hope that helps!

Oh my gosh - thank you! All of this is very new to me and the whole process has been very frustrating. It now seems so simple 😅

Thank you so much for your help - I appreciate it a lot!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for keeping us posted on your win, @jf1991! Stoked you were able to get this sorted. 🎉

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @jf1991,

Yeah, there are a few crucial “aha” moments when first learning to use Zapier, that once you figure them out, things become so much more clear. That’s one of them :)