Question

WordPress error: Authentication failed, WordPress ran into an issue, error code 401

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

When trying to connect my WordPress account to Zapier I hit with this error message :

Zapier plugin for WordPress is installed and active.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @recetteitalienne,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

A 401 error when connecting to WordPress would indicate an incorrect password error. If you're sure the password being entered is the correct WordPress password, the next thing to check is if any plugins are blocking the connection.

Here is a list of the ones that can be an issue:

Jetpack, Wordfence Security, iThemes Security, WP Rocket, JWT Auth, WP-SpamShield, WP Content Copy Protection & No Right Click, Limit Login Attempts Reloaded, SiteGuard WP Plugin, IP Geo Block, WPS Hide Login, reCaptcha by BestWebSoft, Profile Builder.

These will need to be disabled if they are enabled to allow the connection to Zapier.

Please keep us posted! 😊

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

Password is correct. I tried another username, then I got another error message :

Yet I don’t have such issue on my WordPress, it works perfectly fine except for that.

I did try to connect removing Jetpack and WPS Hide Login but did not work either.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hey there @recetteitalienne -

Often times, when you receive an "Authentication Failed" error with WordPress and encounter an error code 500, it indicates that there is an issue with the server's internal server error.

Here’s some troubleshooting tasks I’d like you to try:

1. Clear browser cache: Start by clearing the browser cache and cookies. Sometimes, a cached version of a page can cause authentication issues.
  2. Disable plugins: Temporarily deactivate all WordPress plugins to check if any of them are causing conflicts. If the error disappears after deactivating the plugins, reactivate them one at a time to identify the specific plugin causing the issue.

Hope this helps! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi thanks for your answer, but it doesn’t work. I already tried your solution. Can you forward to a zapier developper pls ?

Thanks a lot

Userlevel 1
Badge

So ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @recetteitalienne,

Can you confirm that the REST API is enabled on your WordPress account? You can reach out to your hosting provider to confirm this or you can check by following these steps:

1. Open a new browser window or tab.
  2. Enter your WordPress site's URL in the address bar, followed by /wp-json. For example, if your website's URL is https://example.com, you would enter https://example.com/wp-json.
  3. Press Enter to load the page.

If the REST API is enabled, you should see a JSON response containing information about your WordPress site, such as the name, description. This JSON response is usually formatted with keys and values.

If the REST API is disabled or not working properly, you might see an error message, a blank page, or a message indicating that the URL cannot be found.

I would also recommend reaching out to your hosting provider anyway, to see if they can check whether there is anything blocking these requests and causing the errors.

Please keep us posted! 😊

Userlevel 1
Badge

hi 

Thanks for your help. I forgot to tell you yesterday that I managed to connect my wordpress to zapier !

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @recetteitalienne,

That's fantastic news! We're thrilled to hear you've managed to resolve the issue. If you don't mind, could you share how you did it? Your insights could be incredibly helpful to other wonderful members of our Community who might encounter a similar problem.

Thanks! 😊

hi 

Thanks for your help. I forgot to tell you yesterday that I managed to connect my wordpress to zapier !

Please share with us how you solved the problem~~~

hi 

I’d like to fix the same issue, can you please share how you fix this issue? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @luffydad and @robert192! 👋

Not 100% sure what solved things here for @recetteitalienne, but have you both tried the suggestions that chanelle and Ken.a shared in the thread previously? If not, can you give those steps a try and let us know how you get on?

Looking forward to hearing from you both!

I have the same issue. Was there any resolve?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @ekhcampbell, sorry to hear you’re having the same issue here. 

Can I just double-check if you’ve tried disabling the security related plugins one by one to see which one might be preventing Zapier from accessing your WordPress site? If so, and you were still unable to connect after disabling each of them did you then try the steps Ken outlined previously to confirm that REST API is enabled? I’ll re share those steps here in case it’s helpful:

Can you confirm that the REST API is enabled on your WordPress account? You can reach out to your hosting provider to confirm this or you can check by following these steps:

1. Open a new browser window or tab.
  2. Enter your WordPress site's URL in the address bar, followed by /wp-json. For example, if your website's URL is https://example.com, you would enter https://example.com/wp-json.
  3. Press Enter to load the page.

If the REST API is enabled, you should see a JSON response containing information about your WordPress site, such as the name, description. This JSON response is usually formatted with keys and values.

If the REST API is disabled or not working properly, you might see an error message, a blank page, or a message indicating that the URL cannot be found.

I would also recommend reaching out to your hosting provider anyway, to see if they can check whether there is anything blocking these requests and causing the errors.

If REST API is enabled, can you confirm whether you’re using the Event Calendar, WP-API or Pods plugin for WordPress? Asking as we had a bug report linked to a Firebase/JWT library incompatibility issue that caused similar “We hit an error adding your new account authentication failed: WordPress ran into an issue. Error code 500: There has been a critical error on this website” errors. If you are using any of those plugins, then downgrading to an earlier version of the Zapier and Event Calendar/WP-API/Pods plugins may help to prevent the error in the meantime.

We have another thread in Community that’s tracking folks affected by that issue here:

So let me know if that’s the case and I’ll get you added to that same issue as well. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Userlevel 1

interested in this

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @rajwaitforit! 👋

You mentioned that you’re interested in this but I’m not 100% clear on which issue you’re referring to. There’s been a few different errors mentioned in the thread here so want to make sure we’re on the same page. 

Can you confirm which error you’re running into with the WordPress app? If you can share a screenshot of the full error that would be super helpful. Remember to remove/hide any private information (like names, emails, addresses etc.) from any screenshots before sharing.

Once we’ve got a bit more context here into we’ll be better able to assist. Thanks, we’ll keep an eye out for your reply!