Question

WordPress error 401: Authentication failed error, citing that my password does not match my username/ email address.

• 20 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi, I am having some trouble trying to connect my WordPress account with Zapier. I keep receiving a 401:Euthetnication failed error, citing that my password does not match my username/ email address. I know that they do, having logged in and out multiple times on both Zapier and WordPress. I have the Zapier plugin installed and activated on WordPress too. I have tried changing security settings on WordPress to allow brute force logins externally, thinking this may help, and it hasn’t. I have also created a separate WP account for Zapier and invited them to my team as admin, and that email/ username still gives the same error. 

I am stumped and slightly frustrated! Any ideas? 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @10slindsay,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

401 errors usually mean that Zapier can't connect to your app account because your password was changed, or Zapier's access was revoked.

Could you please try resetting your password for WordPress and then reconnecting the WordPress account again? https://zapier.com/app/connections

If that doesn't resolve the issue, it can help to create a brand new user, specifically for Zapier, with the admin role: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496101767309#2-creating-a-user-account-for-zapier-optional--0-3

If neither seems to help, this might be related to a security plugin, which could be blocking how API integrations like Zapier can connect. It can be helpful to toggle off your security plugins one at a time to narrow down which is blocking Zapier and whether a different plugin configuration will prevent this error. 

Although many other plugins could also cause such an error as the one you're seeing, one Zapier user pointed out that disabling the Yoast SEO function 'REST API: Head endpoint' did the trick for them. Yoast is a very popular plugin, are you using it? Here's how to disable it: https://yoast.com/help/how-to-disable-or-enable-the-rest-api-endpoint-in-yoast-seo/

Another tip specific to Wordpress.com sites is regarding users who aren't admins of the WordPress site they're trying to connect to and may need their admin to set up an Application Password for them. 

Go to Advanced User Management:

Select the user

Scroll all the way to the bottom to the Application Passwords section:

Fill in the Application Name (for example, "Zapier Connection"), and hit "Generate Application Password" -- that will generate a password.

Users can use their username and the Application Password (instead of their normal password) to log in.

When you get a chance, can you give this a shot and let me know how it goes?

Hello, was there ever a solution reached on this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi and welcome to the Community, @Paisan! 🙂

Not sure whether @10slindsay managed to get this solved in the end, but I wanted to hop in here to lend to share a link to our Error: 401 Incorrect Password help guide which may be of some help. 

Can you give the suggestions in that guide a try and let us know if that solves things for you?

I have the same issue with 401 error. Zap works successfully in manual testing, but when I publish I get the 401 error.

I’ve tried setting a new application password.I’ve tried creating a new admin user with new application password.Tried reinstalling the wordpress plugin.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @ylcdave,

This may be due to using your Wordpress user login instead of your site login.

Could you please try these for me:

1. Log into Wordpress Classic Editor.
  2. Either:
    1. Set a new password.
    2. Create an application password for Zapier.

Use this password to connect your account in Zapier. Please take a peek at the link here - https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496101767309-How-to-Get-Started-with-WordPress-on-Zapier#2-creating-a-user-account-for-zapier-optional--0-3 for help getting this set.

Hopefully, this helps.