Best answer

What happened to "SMS by Zapier"?

• 12 September 2023
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1

I have one client that uses SMS by Zapier as an Action in a few of their Zaps, which still continue to serve as needed.

However, I recently set up a new client with a new account, new Zap, and SMS by Zapier is no longer in the list of available Apps for my Action.

I checked on my existing client's account, and sure enough, SMS by Zapier does not appear as an Action option in new Zaps, even though existing Zaps still have it functioning properly.

What's going on here?

icon

Best answer by SamB 30 October 2023, 11:33

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @espodigital 

Good question.

SMS by Zapier can only be used as a Zap action: https://zapier.com/apps/sms/help

Can you post screenshots to help give us context of your issue?

Userlevel 1

SMS by Zapier can only be used as a Zap action:

Yes, I know. It’s no longer an option in Actions.

Can you post screenshots to help give us context of your issue?

Here is a 30-second screen recording. You can see that I searched for “SMS” and scrolled through all the available apps. I eventually searched for “SMS by Zapier” which yields no results.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@espodigital 

I was able to replicate the results.

You can try opening a ticket with Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Either the app is in the process of being updated. (Meaning a new version is being pushed live.)

Or the app is being deprecated.

Userlevel 1

Wouldn’t you know if the app was being deprecated? I would think that’s a significant update that Zapier would announce, no?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@espodigital

I’d hope they announce it if that was in fact the case.

Best to open a ticket with Zapier Support.

I have opened a ticket on this as well, but no information anywhere  can be found on why its not there

Yeah I’m having the exact same issue. 

I used it in a lot of zaps, but have zero ability to add it to any new zaps as of a few days ago. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi friends,

Unfortunately at this time the SMS by Zapier integration is being deprecated. You will have access to Zaps using the integration until the end of October when it will be fully removed and Zaps using it will no longer be supported.

Over the past year, we've faced challenges with our vendor—challenges that have nearly halted SMS by Zapier more than once. Our vendor's policy dictates that if any customer commits a content violation, the entire SMS by Zapier service will be shut off.

Although we've made multiple attempts to resolve these issues with our vendor, it's become clear that the best way forward is to discontinue SMS by Zapier to ensure we maintain our quality standards.

For now you can use a different integration like Email by Zapier, Telegram, Twilio, or ClickSend SMS for your workflow. We will also have some other alternatives being released soon!

I’m absolutely gutted about this as it’s my most-used action step!  And I recommend it to others based on this.  Is there a list I can join to get information about the alternatives when they’re released please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @ali-summerley-digital,

I’m really sorry to hear that.

I did some digging into this, and it seems like over the next couple of weeks, Zapier will be reaching out to our customers with some stellar alternatives to keep your automations humming. In the meantime, please feel free to recreate your workflows using alternative phone and SMS apps listed below:

https://zapier.com/apps/categories/phone

Hopefully, this helps!

Userlevel 1

@ken.a So what happens to the zaps using sms by zapier? Do we have to go in and manually remove the sms step on each one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @DBM,

Zaps that uses SMS by Zapier will be turned off automatically. You might need to delete them manually.

We’re sunsetting SMS by Zapier by October 31st so you won’t be able to use it by then.

Hopefully, this clear things up.

HI! Any update on what will be replacing SMS by Zapier? We are waiting to roll out a new feature with SMS  and don’t want to make any decisions until we know what our options will be. Thanks! 

Userlevel 1

Hi @DBM,

Zaps that uses SMS by Zapier will be turned off automatically. You might need to delete them manually.

We’re sunsetting SMS by Zapier by October 31st so you won’t be able to use it by then.

Hopefully, this clear things up.

So I have to manually search through hundreds of zaps to find the ones using SMS and then go into each one, edit it to delete the SMS step and if I don’t by Oct 31st any zap using sms will be shut down?!

That’s not a great answer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi folks! 👋

Just wanted to share a quick update to let you know that I’ve flagged everyone’s comments here to the teams involved to ensure they’re aware of the interest in having SMS by Zapier be reinstated. I can’t make any promises as to whether it would definitely be possible to reinstate it but if it is we’ll be sure to let you all know!

In the meantime, there is a WhatsApp Notifications app available which might be worth exploring as an alternative. You can learn more about how to use that here: Send messages in Zaps using WhatsApp

@DBM - If you click onto your SMS by Zapier connection from the My apps page you should then see a tab stating the number of Zaps using that app. If you click on the Zaps tab, that will then show a list of all the Zaps that are using that SMS by Zapier account connection:
c1f42e4809e71af3852349b0f828f5a8.png
From there you can open up and edit each Zap accordingly. Not ideal I know but it will hopefully help to save you manually searching through hundreds of Zaps.  

Hope that helps for now. We’ll be back with further updates as soon as we can! 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey folks! 

Apologies for the late follow up here. I'm thrilled to share some fantastic news today, and it's all thanks to your valuable input and feedback concerning our recent updates to the SMS by Zapier app

Your concerns were listened to by the teams involved and as a result, the decision to discontinue the app has been completely reversed. Yes, you read that right — the SMS by Zapier app is back and here to stay! 😁🎉

We're genuinely sorry for any inconvenience or confusion caused by our earlier decision to phase out the app. This experience has underscored how crucial your feedback is in shaping Zapier and its apps. Thank you all for your patience, understanding, and most importantly for speaking up. Together, we're making the Zapier and better for all! 🚀

Userlevel 1

That’s great news, thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You are most welcome, @DBM. 🤗 

I’m so pleased we were able to bring SMS by Zapier back for you all to continue using it in your workflows. Happy Zapping! ⚡