Question

User ID mapping from Google Sheets to ClickUp without using multiple Lookup Tables.

• 2 June 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

I am having the same problem while I am getting dynamically the user ID from Google Sheets in the step before updating a task in ClickUp. I don't want to use a format option with lookup table, because then I need to update this in all my zaps (too much work and not effective). Any solutions for this problem? Thanks. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Shakz, welcome to the Community! 

Hope you don’t mind but I split your post out into it’s own topic since you’re looking for an alternative solution to the one discussed on the previous topic. 

Is the user ID in the Google Sheets spreadsheet the same as the ID for the user in ClickUp? If so you should be able to use the custom value option and select the user ID that’s output by the Google Sheets action.  

If not, and you don’t want to use a lookup table, perhaps you could try adding a Find User by Name or Email (ClickUp) action to your Zap? That would allow the Zap to search for the relevant user (by using their name or email address as the search value) and should provide you with the relevant user ID for that ClickUp user. You’d still need to add an additional action to your other Zaps but would be less work involved than with setting up a Formatter (Utilities > Lookup Table) action in each Zap. 

Though saying that, if a lookup table is needed, it is also possible to create a single lookup table within Google Sheets and use a Lookup Spreadsheet Row (Google Sheets) action in multiple Zaps, to search the Google Sheets lookup table to get the relevant IDs.

There would still be some work involved in creating the lookup table and adding a Lookup Spreadsheet Row action to each of the necessary Zaps, but again it would be less work than recreating the lookup table in each Zap. And you’d only have a single lookup table to maintain rather than multiple lookup tables across each Zap. We’ve got an article that explains more about how to set up a lookup table in Google Sheets here:

Hope that helps. If I’ve misunderstood what you’re looking to do here or you run into any issues at all just let us know! 🙂