Best answer

URL isn't formatting correctly into Gmail when input into Google Forms

Userlevel 1

Google Form to GMail - I am putting a URL into a field on the form but it is not formatting correctly into GMail. The URL is malformed. Is it an issue of trailing blanks in the form field?

icon

Best answer by MohSwellam 28 November 2022, 18:13

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @architectscott 

Can you please share screenshots of your setup so we can help you better? Please remove any personal info from the screenshot

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @architectscott!

Are you able to share the screenshot that Moh suggested? It will really help us to help you :)  T

Thanks!

Userlevel 1

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

I shared them -- but then support came in a blurred PII fields - I thought it was reposted … oh well

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @architectscott 

Thanks for the screenshots. 

The data shown in the Trigger test data is not a URL. I would fill the form then click on Load More in the Test Trigger part to make sure the data is what its supposed to be then send the email to yourself to check it out.

Userlevel 1

I did this - BUT I just sent you one that had sample data in it - the URL does not get formed correctly in the gmail output … 

So here is a resultant email -- with information as per your note -- note the contents of the URL in the circle … I think it is an issue with a lost tag but I sure do not see it (or possibly that Google Forms spaces fills short answer questions so that it does not return a valid URL result ...) -- I guess I will have to continue to troubleshoot on my own ;-(

I am also missing a field -- but I can troubleshoot that one myself -- though it looks like I am on my own with the Url issue as well ;-(

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @architectscott 

Thanks for the screenshot. 

Just a thought, you are not using the same type of quotation marks in all URLs. Use the same quotation marks as the one in REGISTER FOR IN PERSON TESTIMONY (since it seems to be working) or use the example below

<a href="https://www.w3schools.com">Visit W3Schools.com!</a>

Userlevel 1

Ahhh … I think that might be it - thanks

Userlevel 1

Nope - still not working -- so here is the email and here is the zap html

Problems:

1. Requested action is not being returned into the email
  2. URL is not being formatted correctly
  3. Changes to form are not reflected in edit mode (and this might be why (1) is happening as I changed the field type ...)

It sure would be nice to see the intermediate HTML that is generated -- it is tough to test ;-(

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @architectscott 

You need to go to the Trigger step and click on Test Trigger then click on Load More, this way it will bring the newest responses in the form. 

Userlevel 1

Moh

Thanks -- it works … and I guess the issue was the load more (as well as quotes) -- I may reach out again … but pretty close on what I want to do … consider your assistance as an act to help improve our climate -- will provide for alerting climate activists of actions needed to solve the climate crisis.

Scott

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It’s always a pleasure to help Scott :) 

Please don’t hesitate to reach out any time. 

Appreciate if you would mark the reply that helped you as Answer so others can benefit from it.

Userlevel 1

Moh

Quick question -- I think you got the gist of what I am doing -- I am building a Google Forms to Google Mail zap for the purpose of broadcasting new climate actions for my Colorado climate team … my team is a small gorup of citizens trying to make some progress against climate change … so we have no money

My question for you … I think that I am covered using this zap under the free tier -- I don’t think it is using any premium apps and it is single step … e.g. a trigger (Google Form) and an action (Format and send gmail) -- can you verify that for me …

Thanks!

Scott

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Heya @architectscott! You should be good with the free plan assuming the zap, as you mentioned, doesn’t use premium apps and remains single step! 🙂

I hope this helps!