Best answer

Updating Airtable Records with ChatGPT completions - Issue with static record ID

• 30 March 2023
  • 2 replies

To zapier support,

Good morning. I hope you are doing well. I had to contact you because the automation does not work as planed and I am looking for an advice. I have attached the 5 screenshots of the zap. Let me explain the idea to you.

I have an airtable table. When I make a new record in airtable, I want the words written under the column 'title' to be sent and be used in the prompt to chatgpt. Then, when chatgpt finishes writing response to that prompt, I want that response to be updated in the column of 'content', for that specific row where a new record was created. 

Here's the problem. It is not working right now, and I think it might have to do with the record ID part in the 'update record' . Whenever I try the zap, it only updates 1 record at a time. I think this is because record ID is different for every new record. How do I set it so that record ID in the zap keeps changing flexibly to the ID of the new record created? That way, I can create 15 records at the same time and the zap would add contents to all 15 new records instead of doing 1 and stopping.

I did some automation in airtable too, but honestly I don't really know what I am doing so I desperately need help. I see on the internet that, when people check the approval sign, it goes to the automation grid and that acts as a trigger for zapier to send prompt to chatgpt and update the record that has been sent to the automation grid. 

Please give me a detailed advice on how to resolve this issue. Thank you very much, and hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Scott Choi

icon

Best answer by ken.a 30 March 2023, 15:13

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey @bigboysc,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I think the issue here is the manually typed data in the “Record” field in the “Update Record” step. The “Record” field looks for the Record ID.

Could you please try remapping the “Record” field with the Record ID as a custom value that is coming from the trigger step? Here’s an example from my Zap:

505928a299c13c3ecfd6c97472d0e307.png
(view larger)

Please give that a try and let us know how it goes.

Thanks! 😊

Oh wow, it has worked! Thank you very much for the quick reply, it has brightened up my start of the day. I’ll use this community more and ask questions that I have as I plan to use zapier much more now. Thank you!