Question

Unable to recognize an existing worksheet via my Zap.

Hi, the excel worksheet doesnt seem to be recognized even if the file is. how can I trouble shoot?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Quikdraft 

Help articles that may provide guidance: https://zapier.com/apps/excel/help

Yes I am aware of the help articles but does not address the exact issue. are you able to link the exact article if it exists? I have taken the right steps and the connections seem to be working

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Quikdraft 

Check these…

I'm not able to connect my Microsoft Excel account?

We only support OneDrive for business right now - as the Excel API comes out of beta status we expect to support any version of Excel online. Personal Outlook accounts do not work unfortunately!

My Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet isn't available in the dropdown

Make sure your file has an .xlsx extension. Files with the .xls extension will not work.

I have multiple folders in my OneDrive account but when I go to set up my trigger/action I don't see any of them in the "Folder" dropdown.

If you have a bunch of files in your root folder, the Zaps tend to get those first in the response data when we're trying to populate this dropdown, with subfolders coming later.

To surface those folders, click the Check & Reload button until it says there are no more results. After a click or two, the folders should start showing up.

Thank you for your unhelpful answers. none of those articles address the issue I am having

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Quikdraft, welcome to the Community! 👋

I did some digging on this end but couldn’t find any bug reports that mention the same behaviour of the worksheets not loading. But I found an internal note about a case where worksheets that were password protected/encrypted couldn’t be loaded.

Can you confirm whether the worksheet is password protected or encrypted?

If that’s not the case, can you try creating a brand new Excel spreadsheet and confirm whether you’re able to select it’s worksheet in the Zap? That’ll help to narrow down whether there’s an issue with that specific spreadsheet or a more general issue in not being able to select worksheets at all.

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@SamB 

Can that internal note be added as an external Help topic for Excel?

Hi, thanks for looking into it deeper.

I have tried creating a new excel spreadsheet however this also comes back with an error regarding permissions. None of the files should be password protected.. is there some setting on the MS account that needs to change?

an edit to the previous message, it was able to create the new excel file in the onedrive, however it was not able to populate the tables with the data on the worksheet. this suggests to me there is some issue accessing the worksheet level of the file but not the file itself. any ideas of what is causing this?

I have re connected and tested the connection multiple times successfully so that shouldnt be the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for getting back to me @Quikdraft, sorry for missing your replies here! 

The Create Spreadsheet action is only able to create a new spreadsheet and set it’s header columns. It’s not able to populate the spreadsheet with any data. In order to add data to a new row in an existing spreadsheet, you’d need to use an Add Row (Microsoft Excel) action. 

With the error I did some further digging and discovered that you’re running into a known bug that’s popped up in the Community before: 

I’ve gone ahead and added you to the list of folks being impacted by these errors. We can’t make any promises as to when you can expect this issue to be resolved by but we’ll be sure to email you as soon as it is. Please let me know if there’s anything else I can assist with in the meantime.

For anyone that comes across this and wants to be added to it please reach out on the main thread for this issue and we’ll get you added.

@SamB

Can that internal note be added as an external Help topic for Excel?

@Troy Tessalone - I’ve submitted an internal request have that note added. Looking again at the case note it’s quite old so it may be no longer be the case but the team will verify and add if it’s still accurate. 🙂