Question

Unable to flag new members in Circle using Zapier.

• 30 September 2023
  • 10 replies

BACKGROUND:

I have a classroom hosted by Teachable and a community hosted by Circle (with a SSO).

I am having issues recently with spam accounts being created in my classroom, then they join my community, and proceed to create a spam post.

Both Teachable and Circle say there is nothing more they can do for me to stop this from happening. Sigh.

USING ZAPIER:

My thought now is to use Zapier to “Flag Member” in Circle (located in the member’s profile) whenever a new member joins my community. Then I will manually review each member before unflagging them.

NEED HELP:

I have made it work to add a “NEW” 🆕 tag to any new member in my community.

And it looks like I can then “edit member profile” and mark them as flagged, but it doesn’t work. :(

I was hoping that I could flag them before they are able to create a new post.

10 replies

Userlevel 1

@jenwhite Consider these options:

1. Ensure that the API permissions for your Circle and Zapier integration are set correctly. Sometimes, certain actions require additional permissions that might not have been granted initially.
  2. Review the settings for the "Edit Member Profile" or "Flag Member" action in Zapier to ensure that they are configured correctly. It might be a matter of selecting the right options or providing the necessary data.
  3. Look into the timing of the triggers and actions in your Zap. Ensure that the action to flag the member is happening after the member has been successfully added to your community.
  4. Review the logs in Zapier for any errors or warnings related to your Zap. The logs might provide insight into why the action to flag the member isn't working as expected.
  5. Try setting up the Zap with different settings or even a different action to see if that resolves the issue. Sometimes, a slight change in configuration can make a difference.
  6. If you've tried the above steps and still can't get it to work, reaching out to Zapier support might provide more insight. They might have additional troubleshooting steps or be able to identify issues with the integration.

Hope it helps, as I can imagine it sucks with the spam accounts and posts in your community.

It's AI Thomas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @jenwhite 

Good question.

To help us have more context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

@Troy Tessalone 

Can I share a ‘template’ of my zap? would that work?

https://zapier.com/shared/2b733eeda1c7e7827a9e5818e204c383ef0f8cb4

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jenwhite

We would need to see screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Sharing a template of a Zap won’t show us how your Zap steps are configured.

@jenwhite

okay. Sorry about that. Screenshots coming soon.

@jenwhite

Here’s a video tour. Thanks for your help!!

https://www.loom.com/share/9ffd0585bbff402886e652d019b299c5?sid=a8cb9643-38e9-49af-ba82-66696a3cf210

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jenwhite

Remove Step 3 as it’s not needed.

For the Flag Member step, map the Member ID from Step 1, to the Member ID field which expects a number as indicated by the 123 icon next to the field label.

THANK YOU so much for your help, @Troy Tessalone.

How about this? Does this look right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jenwhite 

Have you tested each of those steps? (manually and live with the Zap turned ON)

Have you reviewed the results in Circle?

Have you reviewed the Zap Run activity for any issues? (https://zapier.com/app/history/)

@Troy Tessalone The zap is on and when I click Run Zap, it shows all green checkmarks.

I cannot test it yet because I have not gotten any new members yet this AM.