Question

Unable to create Frame.io project automatically from Asana project.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey people,
I have the following problem:

I want Frame.io to act automatically with Asana.
I want to set that as soon as a project is created in ASANA, it is also created as a project in Frame.io.

I manage it in the test that he creates a project for me, but unfortunately there is a problem with the project creation as soon as I create a test project in Asana.
Also weird is that I can't choose which it uses the name of the Asana project. Unfortunately, ZAPIER only shows me TeamIDs and existing projects.

By that I mean: I create a project called "Test123" at ASANA and a project called "Test123" is created at Frame.io.

Sorry if I write a little unequivocally, but I hope that you understand what I mean.

If someone can help me, I would definitely be very happy about it!

Best regards,
Dennis from 4R1K

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

50 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @4R1K, welcome to the Community! 🙂

It sounds like you’re wanting to create a project in Asana when a new project is created in Frame.io, but on the Create Project action you’re not able to select the project name from the Frame.io trigger step. It only allows you to select from existing team IDs and projects. Am I understanding that correctly?

If so, it seems like you might have been trying to set the project name in either the Workspace or Team fields, rather than the Name field on the Create Project (Asana) action. I just did some testing in one of my own Zaps and it looks like the Name field is available to select from the New Project (Frame.io) trigger:
eba3a87a8af89b58cb747af49b3a851d.png

If you click into the Name field on the Create Project (Asana) action, are you then able to select the Name field (from the Frame.io trigger step) as pictured above?

If not, or if I’ve misunderstood the issue here can you please share a screenshot showing what has been selected, and what options are available for the Name field on the Asana action in the Zap? Please remove/hide any private information from the screenshots first (like names, email addresses etc.).

Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello Sam,
first of all thanks for your quick reply!

Exactly, my problem is that Zapier the project I create at Frame, let's call it "Test123", not automatically and above all: created with IDENTICAL names as a project in Asana.

Then I would like individual steps, such as someone uploading something -> The editor gets a task in the respective project in Asana. For example: Download data and integrate so on, but for now I think it's enough for me if I manage to automate the project creation for the first time.

Here is a screenshot of the data that I can select when I click on "Name":

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your help!

Userlevel 1
Badge

By the way, Zapier shows me this when I search for "Name" under "Name".

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @4R1K ! Hopping in for Sam here!

Hmm, I wonder if your test data is the culprit here. Can you check your test data from the Frame.io Trigger and see if the “Name” field is being pulled in? Here’s a handy article on test data if you’d like to check it out but feel free to share some screenshots with us as well!

Userlevel 1
Badge

He created the test project without any problems. Since then, however, which I have selected.
For example "Project planning for XXX" - that's what the automatically created project is called at Frame.io.
ZAPIER also shows no errors in the test.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@4R1K 

Have you tried turning the Zap ON and testing live?

Then check the Zap Runs to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello, thank you for your answers!

The history only contains zaps from 3 weeks ago that I have already deleted.

Have already deleted all Zaps and started from scratch, but I still can't get an automatically created project.
Neither from frame to asana nor from asana to frame.

The ZAP is on and the test runs went fine, but unfortunately when I create a project in Frame.io, Zapier doesn't create one in Asana.

Here are the settings with which I activated the ZAP:

Userlevel 1
Badge

Userlevel 1
Badge

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Now I see that Zapier keeps putting the ZAP (Asana - Frame) offline. When I click "On" it briefly goes online and then slides back to offline.

Here the screenshots:

Userlevel 1
Badge

I oiled the ZAP again and created it again, now it is and will remain online, but there is still no automatic project creation.
If I create a project in Frame.io, nothing is created in Asana.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for following up with those details here, @4R1K.

It sounds like the issue now is more that the Zap is not trigger for any new projects that are being created in Frame.io. Am I understanding that correctly? 

If so, can I just check whether the Frame.io account connected to the Zap has Team Manager level permissions? I came across an internal note that mentioned that Team Manager level permissions were required so if the account isn’t a Team Manager then perhaps that’s why it’s not able to trigger for the new projects.

Can you take a look at the permission settings for the connected account in Frame.io to confirm? If it’s not already, make it a Team Manager and then reconnect the account in Zapier. Then try creating a new project in Frame.io to see if it’s then able to create the account in Asana.

Please keep us updated on how that goes!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@4R1K 

You can check the Zap > Details > Change History to see why the Zap might be automatically turning off.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@4R1K

You can check the Zap > Details > Change History to see why the Zap might be automatically turning off.

Good morning,
where do i see that? About the way you described I only find this overview without further details.

I can only find entries from 05.06.23 via the link you have already shared, even if I update the date to the current one.

Userlevel 1
Badge

It sounds like the issue now is more that the Zap is not trigger for any new projects that are being created in Frame.io. Am I understanding that correctly? 

If so, can I just check whether the Frame.io account connected to the Zap has Team Manager level permissions? I came across an internal note that mentioned that Team Manager level permissions were required so if the account isn’t a Team Manager then perhaps that’s why it’s not able to trigger for the new projects.

Can you take a look at the permission settings for the connected account in Frame.io to confirm? If it’s not already, make it a Team Manager and then reconnect the account in Zapier. Then try creating a new project in Frame.io to see if it’s then able to create the account in Asana.

I'll forward that to our administrator and then try it with more permissions.
What surprises me is that I have already managed to automatically create the latest project when it is created in Asana, for example.

I'll report back when I know more and have tried it.

Best regards.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yay! Thank you, it works now!

I will now start expanding the workflow, I will report if I encounter problems again!

Thanks to everyone who signed up and helped me!
Lots of love to you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Amazing! We’re so glad to hear this is up and rolling! Thanks for keeping the thread updated and sharing your success here! 🎉

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello, its me again!
Have now tried without end, but stand again in front of a wall.

The scenario looks like this:
A new project is created at frame.io and at the same time a project is created in Asana. This works very well, thanks again to all of you!

So I set "Create Task in Asana" after creating the project.
The aim is that a new task is created directly, such as "Upload videos" in Asana, which is assigned to a specific person.

Unfortunately, no assigned task appears in Asana after project creation at Frame - (automatic) - Asana.

I have to say that after a lot of reading I still can't get any further, so I'm grateful for any help!

Here is a screenshot of the process:

Best regards,
Dennis from 4R1K

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@4R1K 

Please post screenshots with how your Zap step 3 is configured to give us context.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Good morning,
here the screens of the settings of Step 3:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@4R1K 

If you want the Task to show up under the new Project, then you need to map the Project ID from step 2.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Tried it now with the ID and the name, but both times it doesn't create a task in Asana.

Step 2:

Step 3.1:

Step 3.2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@4R1K 

You need to map the Project ID from Step 2, not the Project Name.

If you want the Task to show up under the new Project, then you need to map the Project ID from step 2.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, he probably didn't upload the screenshot, because I tried that too, look:

Userlevel 1
Badge

Here the Screenshot from the Asana Project which was created automatically:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@4R1K 

Check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot.

Step 3 will return an Asana Task ID that you can use to directly find the Task in Asana.

https://zapier.com/app/history/