Question

Troubleshooting Zapier: Connecting a Gmail Reply to a Specific Email with Unique Recipients

Userlevel 1
Badge
  1. hello - been sitting on this for hours. 

I am trying to set up a zap where i can send an automatic message if a new email is sent in reply to specific type of email i already have sent. And i only want the zap to initiate for email with a specific subject line, and only once per email address. 

here is what the steps

- I get an email in response to a specific automated email i already sent (the address of the person replying can change every time)
    - I respond back with a pre-written message and an attachment. 

end. 

the issue is everytime i choose a “to” in the “Gmail reply” zap, it only replies to that SPECIFIC email. 

I cant figure this one out. 

Can someone help?

14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

here is the link xxxxxxxxx

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @Ash_Fishman 

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Could you send screenshots of how you’ve configure the steps of the Zap so far? Particularly, the step where the issue is happening.

(If there’s any personal information, kindly blur them.)

Looking forward to your response!

Userlevel 1
Badge

while waiting i decided to ask chatgpt so it recommended i create a basic database where zapier can reference the emails to make sure that it only replies to a an individual email email once. 

So i added steps

When the “send email” and “reply to email” actions didnt work in the last Gmail step we added “formatting” and tried “extract email” . 

Then that didn’t work so then we added another formatter and tried “replace” and “split text” but it still did not help.

I keep getting the same "Failed to create a send email in Gmail not enough values to unpack (expected 2, got 1)" on the part where gmail automatically responds only to the new email once with an a pre-written email and attachment. 

Here is my zap steps currently and also the how the last Gmail set is setup to respond, before it places the that new email into the database to make sure it does not respond to it again. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

for some reason the reply didnt let me put an image in my previous reply and kept giving me an error so here it is in a separate reply. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @Ash_Fishman 

I want to make sure that I understand your concern. You mentioned you only wish for the Zap to initiate an email with a specific subject line. Do you want the Zap to trigger based on the subject line of the email received?

Also, where do you want the email to be sent?

Userlevel 1
Badge

sorry. here is the full picture: 

I am giving away free copies of my new book. 

I set up a zap that does the following 

Someone fill out a webflow form with their email > the info is added to airtable > the email is then added to a list on sendinblue > they get an email from sendinblue that basically says “please let me know why you want this book”. 

What i wanted to set up was everytime they respond to that email, I have an automatic reply with the book attached (as a pdf). 

I couldn’t figure out how to send out that reply from sendinblue, nor could i figure out how to connect gmail to sendinblue so that everytime someone responds, it sends the automatic responds. 

So i am trying to setup a seperate zap for gmail, that every time a specifc email comes through in response to an email with a specific subject line, or certain key words inside the email (aka the response to the sendinblue email), then gmail automatically sends out an email with a pre-wrriten response and the attachment back to that replier’s email address ONLY ONCE (as i do not want to send automatic emails to someone more than once)

The problem is that every single step works until i try to set up the part where  every time a specifc email comes through in response to an email with a specific subject line, or certain key words inside the email, then gmail automatically sends out an email with a pre-wrriten response and the attachment back to that replier’s email address ONLY ONCE. 

I keep getting the error of  "Failed to create a send email in Gmail not enough values to unpack (expected 2, got 1)" on the part where gmail automatically responds only to the new email once with an a pre-written email and attachment. 

Did that help? 

if not I am happy to jump on a 5 min zoom or send a loom. 

I am somewhat desperate as I have been dealing with this for a couple days now and on the verge of giving up and making everything manual. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @Ash_Fishman 

Upon checking on the screenshot, it seems the item selected in the “To” field is unavailable. Please refer to the screenshot below:

d6078714f65668190a64a757c1248d19.png

Kindly re-map this and then test the Zap again to see if it will achieve the goal that you want to do.

Userlevel 1
Badge

didnt work. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

in the meantime i also tried to just create one big zap ( i am not sure if that will help or is better but here is what I did so far) 

and here is the screenshot with the action. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

let me know which option is best or if it matters at all. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

in the end i decided to stick with 2 different zaps. 

here is the current zap. 

Everything ran smooth, but i am still waiting for the email that shows me it worked. i tested with a couple seperate emails

I am monitoring the zap history see nothing and it has been a few minutes…

https://zapier.com/shared/916b1eb6d74f0e714fc7fe40984b21d70aad45b5

Userlevel 1
Badge

okay so update: when i ran the zap manually it worked. but it seems to take a while automatically….

Userlevel 1
Badge

it seems that every time the trigger starts it defaults to the first option there was…

then when i manually press “load more” then it shows other options. 

Maybe that is the issue? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Ash_Fishman! Thanks for reaching out - glad to see you were able to get this rolling on your own!

Hmm, so the “New Email Matching Search” trigger is a scheduled trigger:

All that means is that Zapier is checking for new info vs the app sending it directly to us as soon as the change takes place. With a Starter plan we'll only check every 15m for new information. So it would make sense, depending on when the emails, come through it might take a few minutes for the zap to pick it up and complete the final action.

...it seems that every time the trigger starts it defaults to the first option there was…

Are you able to expand on that a bit, please? Do you only see this when you’re testing the trigger?

I’m curious if we turned it on and ran it live if we’d see the same behavior. Thanks again for reaching out and looking forward to digging into this a bit more. 🙂