Skip to main content
Question

The Zap isn't populating fields from Google Sheets to DocuSign templates despite successful test.

Hello,

I am trying to figure out why my Zap isn’t populating the data from Google Sheets to my DocuSign template. The odd thing is that the same process was working perfectly fine the other day in a 75-field, 10-page template, “test zap,” I was working on before I started the current zap, so I'm not sure what I changed…..

A deeper look into what I am working on and the problem I am trying to solve:

1. New Client application form is submitted (info is sent to Google sheet through Zap)
  2. Pull data from Google Sheets & new client form to envelope template fields
  3. Once fields have been populated, send DocuSign to new client(s) for review and signing (all that happens now is a BLANK application is sent to the recipients…..)
    • The “Event” for this step is “send envelope using template” 
      • The DocuSign envelope template has 10 recipients—this is just the maximum number allowed to sign, depending on the applicant's answer.
        • For example, if the applicant fills out a new client onboarding form and answers “5” to the question “How many managing members are in the entity?”, there will only be 5 recipients, not 10.
      • None of the fields are “required” in the template, but all recipients are classified as “need to sign.”

Screenshot Examples:

Zapier Interface (above)
**These values are pulled in from the New applicantion form and not Google Sheets, In case of confusion, please refer to statement “2.” in the above description**

DocuSign Template View IN DOCUSIGN (above)
Name = “Text 10”
Name of Account = “Text 11”
Address = “Text 12”
City = “Text 13”
State = “Text 14”
Zip Code = “Text 15”
Country =“Text 16”

DocuSign Template Recipients View (above)

Closing:
Like I said previously, though, everything I am trying to accomplish worked at one point in time; I’m just not sure what I did/has changed from the “test zap” to now. For the past few days, I have been going through everything trying to find the solution, but I keep coming up short. I have tried what I believe to be everything from the Zapier community threads that relate to my problem, and none have resolved the issue. 

This “New Client Application Automation Project” has taken up much of my time over the last few months—350+ Google Sheet columns, 200+ formulas, 1000+ template form fields, and the DocuSign template is over 150 pages long…. I say all this to emphasize the point that I’ll listen to any and all ideas to get this thing working. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your response!

“Test Zap” screenshots of process working

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @MBH23 

Can you post screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined (ordered) to give us more context?

Check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each step to help you trace the data flow between steps: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Post screenshots from the Zap Runs to give us context.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone ,

Thanks for the timely response on a Friday afternoon!

Here is a screenshot of the zap steps; for now, I am only focusing on “Path B,” with “Path A” as a placeholder.

Also, I have not published the zap yet because all the tests I’ve run haven't populated the data in the DS template. I don't believe I’ll be able to see zap history. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MBH23 

For Docusign, check which role those are assigned to.

If those need to be filled out by a certain role, then DocuSign may prevent those fields from being prefilled.

For DocuSign, make sure the fields have Data Labels.

Help: https://support.docusign.com/s/document-item?language=en_US&bundleId=gmi1660583110357&topicId=yis1665092718418.html&_LANG=enus

OBSERVATION

You probably want to give each path a descriptive name.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone 

When you say:

“For DocuSign, check which role those are assigned to.

If those need to be filled out by a certain role, then DocuSign may prevent those fields from being prefilled.”

Can you please clarify what you are referring to when you say “those”?

And yes, all fields have data labels

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MBH23 

DocuSign help articles…

Field Properties: https://support.docusign.com/s/document-item?language=en_US&rsc_301=&bundleId=ulp1643236876813&topicId=alk1578456282186.html&_LANG=enus

Prefill Fields: https://support.docusign.com/s/document-item?language=en_US&rsc_301=&bundleId=gbo1643332197980&topicId=hlt1627421322398.html&_LANG=enus

Template Roles: https://support.docusign.com/s/document-item?language=en_US&bundleId=xry1643227563338&topicId=lsg1578456368117.html&_LANG=enus

Recipient Roles: https://support.docusign.com/s/document-item?language=en_US&bundleId=pik1583277475390&topicId=bcy1583277350761.html&_LANG=enus

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone

When you say:

“For DocuSign, check which role those are assigned to.

If those need to be filled out by a certain role, then DocuSign may prevent those fields from being prefilled.”

Can you please clarify what you are referring to when you say “those”?

And yes, all fields have data labels

??

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MBH23 

I believe DocuSign roles can be related to specific fields.

Check DocuSign template permissions/settings, check DocuSign template field settings, check DocuSign Template Role permissions.

I’d recommend using a simple dummy DocuSign template and new Zap to work thru your issue of why fields are not prefilling, as that will allow you more ability for trial/error testing, then apply the fix to the real DocuSign template.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone 
It took me a while, but I believe I found my issue—hopefully, there is a solution……. The fields will populate with the correct information, but only when one recipient is required to do a task in the envelope (sign, etc.).

Once a second recipient is added to complete a task (Sign,etc.)the envelope fields will not populate and requires each recipient to input the information manually into the document.

For example,

I’ve made an envelop with 2 recipients

• I’ll create the template with all the fields listed below for 1(RED):
    • Full Name
    • Address
    • Account Type
    • Signature
  • EVERYTHING WORKS AS SHOULD WHEN NO ROLES ARE ASSIGNED TO 2(BLUE)

• Now, I’ll create the template with all the fields listed above for 1(RED) and below for 2(BLUE):
    • Full Name
    • Address
    • Account Type
    • Signature
  • ONCE 2(BLUE) IS ADDED THEN THERE ARE PROBLEMS, AND THE ZAP WON'T POPULATE……..

Is there something I am overlooking or not doing? All help is appreciated. It might be a simple fix, but I am not sure. 

Thanks

@MBH23, am finding a similar trend.

Sometimes it works, the form data will populate, and the next test it does not. Having changed nothing.

I tried your single signee, but that did not seem to work for me. Had 2 signee’s all the time and it partially worked.

Any further luck on your end?

Userlevel 1

@jac00schZA 

With DocuSign, no further luck…..

But I signed up for a PandaDoc trial yesterday and did a test page of what I'm trying to accomplish. WORKED FLAWLESSLY using the merge field variables! So I suppose if you're able to make the switch to pandadoc than that's a quick, not very cheap, solution:/ But importantly, it works!

@MBH23 , thanks will check out PandaDoc.

What is interesting is if one runs the automation in ‘production’ it does not work. But if one tests that record in Zapier, the exact same record, it work.

@Troy Tessalone , I came across the below post, which points out that this ‘ID’ of 0 or 1, seems to be an issue. So in the Test run this value is 1 but when running it in production it changes to a 0. Could this be related?

zapier Filter or path not working in live mode but working in testing mode of same data used live | Zapier Community

Below is from my TEST run showing the ‘1’, this works as expected, pre filling the Form data:

But using the same record with the same Template, in production it shows as below, and does NOT pre fill:

Userlevel 1

@jac00schZA Here is the link to another post I made. SamB responded and said that it's a bug on the DocuSign end….

I’m jumping ship with DocuSign and going to PandaDoc. I've been working on this automation process for a few months, and I can’t allocate any more time trying to resolve this issue. If you wouldn't mind, please keep me updated on your findings. I’m sorry I wasn't able to be more helpful!

@MBH23 , I see. Just tested what you saying and its the same experience. 

-- Remove the 2nd signer in Production and it works fine.

also

-- If double signer, then it works fine in TESTING the steps within Zapier, but not in PRODUCTION.

Also think I found your comment on a Solusign Youtube video!

Likewise if you hear anything. 👍🏽

I have spent days trying to get my first Zap going… SIGH. Not giving up but definitely frustrated. I am attaching my flow here for anyone on the support team or community expert who has time to assess and help me to troubleshoot. 

https://go.screenpal.com/watch/cZ1looVNgqv

Sounds like I need to take the leap to PandaDoc…although I’ve paid for annual plan with Docusign. I’ve heard more people successfully integrating with PandaDoc of late. 

May I ask if you have solved this problem?
Because I also encountered a similar problem, my automation was not functioning properly and all the information was displayed, causing huge losses and trust issues to the company.