Best answer

SMTP by Zapier error: Authentication failed: Connection unexpectedly closed: timed out

• 25 April 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

I am trying to connect STMP by Zappier to my email provider.

We use bluehost - roundcube webmail.

Port 465.

Keep getting the error saying:

authentication failed: Connection unexpectedly closed: timed out

Can anyone advise?

is it because we use .org mail addresses?

going on day 3 of not being able to set this up and it’s the main reason we are migrating to Zapier so need it to work!

icon

Best answer by Danvers 25 April 2023, 14:17

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Soph x, I’m sorry you’re having trouble setting up your SMTP Zap. Let’s see if we can get to the bottom of this?

When you connected your account, did you select a specific port?

SMTP by Zapier doesn’t work with Port 465. We let you choose between Port 25(default), 587, 110, or 2525. If you aren’t sure which to use, check your email provider's SMTP instructions.

I can see in our notes on this app that if you want to use port 465, a good alternative is port 587 (STARTTLS). I don’t know the ins and outs of different ports, so whichever you pick, please make sure that it’s suitable for your needs (eg security and encryption).

​I hope that's clear, please let us know if you have any questions!

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your response. although it says to use port 465 i used port 587 as recommended and it is now working fine. thank you!