Best answer

Slack Reaction triggering in some private channels, but not all

• 2 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Found this post, but I’m looking for a bit more information. 

As a workaround to the reaction trigger not working when you specify a private channel I have a few zaps where I just leave the channel field blank which allows the reaction to trigger in private channels. 

I’m seeing some odd behavior 

• If I set the channel for the trigger to a private channel the trigger doesn’t work.
    • I expected this based on the help text for that field Only triggers on reactions added on messages in this public channel. Only channels you are a member of will appear in this list. If you can't find your channel, click the Load More button or switch to the Custom tab and enter the channel's ID. Once live, the trigger will work even if you are not a member of the channel.
  • If I leave the channel field blank the trigger has been working in ANY public channel and SOME private channels
  • I haven’t been able to figure out what has made it function in some of our private channels, but not others.
  • I was playing with whether the account tied to the trigger (mine)  needed to be added to the private channel or if the owner of the zap (not me) needed to be in the private channel, but nothing seemed to work out.

Ideally if I leave the channel field blank I would want the trigger to work in all channels, or  :sparkles:be able to list multiple channels:sparkles:  for the zap to work in.

icon

Best answer by ken.a 3 October 2023, 08:31

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Tori Phillips,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I did some digging into this, and it seems like Slack Channel IDs start with different letters to signify different channel types. 

The reaction trigger is limited to only work with channels that have a prefix beginning with C.

If a channel in the dropdown shows a prefix of G or D, it will not trigger the Zap:

24bac21fdd98180dcd80b210de3a97e4.png
(view larger)

Channels that were originally created as public and later changed to private will work if their channel prefix starts with C.

That said, we have an open feature request for Slack “New Reaction Added” trigger to trigger off of reacjis in private channels and DMs, in addition to triggering off of public channel reactions. I have added your vote as another interested member. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

Hopefully, this helps.

Userlevel 1

Ken! Thanks so much for the details. This explains the situations perfectly. Looking forward to seeing if/when we get that new trigger option. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

You are most welcome @Tori Phillips! I am glad I was able to clear some things out.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 😊

I was running into the same exact “issue” - obviously it is functioning as designed. But the fact that it would function beyond design for some channels was throwing me off. This explanation was very helpful and makes sense. I am looking forward to the expansion of the integration allowing for private channels.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Honest Networks,

I’m glad I was able to provide some clarity with this one!

Additionally, I have added you as another interested member to the open feature request. While we can’t promise an exact ETA for the feature’s implementation. We will let you know via email once the feature has been shipped.