Question

Practice Panther creates a new contact and task rather than assigning the task to the appropriate existing contact.

• 12 November 2022
  • 1 reply

I’m currently trying to create a zap such that whenever a card is moved in LegalBoards, it finds the contact in Practice Panther and adds the task. I already created the “Find Contact” and “Create Task” action steps. The issue is that it creates a new contact and task rather than assigning the task to the appropriate existing contact.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Tech_temmy!

I know how we can sort the assigning the task to the correct contact, but let’s start with the Find Contact step. You said that it keeps creating a new contact rather than finding an existing one, is that right?  The Find Contact step should only create a new one if it doesn’t find the original one, so we need to understand why it’s not finding the existing contact. Could you take a look at a couple of the new contacts that the Zap created when it should have found an existing one and compare the information on the contacts. For example, do they have the same name but different email addresses? 

When that step is working as it should, in the Create Task action, you can use the Contact ID as a custom value in the Contact field, which will tell the Zap to always assign the task to the contact that was found in the previous step. 

I hope all of that is clear, let us know if you have any questions!