Question

New message is not posted on Slack after Zap is triggered

• 23 May 2023
  • 4 replies

This is my second zap created so probably it’s a simple issue that I’m not able to solve!

After completing a task in Todoist, a new message should be posted on a Slack channel. When I run the test, the message is sent but, when actually completing a task, it doesn’t work.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @Maugrahl! 🎉

Sorry to hear you’re running into some trouble with this Zap. Let’s see, if it’s working when testing the Slack action then I suspect the issue might be that completed tasks in Todist aren’t triggering the Zap at all. And that is preventing the message from being posted on Slack. Do you think that could be the case here?

If so, was the task that should have triggered the Zap a sub-task by any chance? Asking as I’ve seen cases in the past where a sub-task didn’t trigger the Zap until it’s parent task was completed as well.

If it was a sub-task, to test that theory would you mind completing the parent task for the sub-task to see if that then triggers the Zap?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Hi SamB! I retested and noticed that it just takes longer to trigger the Zap and the message shows up on Slack.

Seems like I just wasn’t to patient to wait for the process 😅

Thanks a lot for your reply to this!

Welcome to the Community, @Maugrahl! 🎉

Sorry to hear you’re running into some trouble with this Zap. Let’s see, if it’s working when testing the Slack action then I suspect the issue might be that completed tasks in Todist aren’t triggering the Zap at all. And that is preventing the message from being posted on Slack. Do you think that could be the case here?

If so, was the task that should have triggered the Zap a sub-task by any chance? Asking as I’ve seen cases in the past where a sub-task didn’t trigger the Zap until it’s parent task was completed as well.

If it was a sub-task, to test that theory would you mind completing the parent task for the sub-task to see if that then triggers the Zap?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Hi SamB! I retested and noticed that it just takes longer to trigger the Zap and the message shows up on Slack.

Seems like I just wasn’t to patient to wait for the process 😅

Thanks a lot for your reply to this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Maugrahl,

We're thrilled to hear that your Zap is now triggering! Let's talk a bit about the "update time" for our triggers. We have two types: "Polling" and "Instant" triggers.

When we say "Instant," it means that the Zap will fire off immediately whenever there's new data available.

On the other hand, "Polling" involves Zapier regularly checking the triggering app at specific intervals. It only runs your Zap when it finds new information. For example, if you're on our free or Starter plans, the polling interval is set at 15 minutes. However, for plans like Companies, it can be as low as one minute!

You can find more detailed information about trigger types in Zaps right here: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496244568589-Types-of-triggers-in-Zaps#trigger-types-0-0

Feel free to explore the link for a deeper dive into this topic. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, don't hesitate to ask. We're here to help! 😊