Best answer

New files aren’t detected by Zapier when getting new files inside of OneDrive subfolder as a trigger.

• 12 June 2023
  • 5 replies

I am having trouble trying to get what I thought would be a simple task of getting new files inside of OneDrive to trigger my zap to start but for whatever reason, the new files aren’t being detected by Zapier.

I am currently using a power automate flow that grabs attachments from emails and posts them inside of OneDrive. There is one folder with various amounts of subfolders where the attachments get dropped into. No matter where I have the workflow dropping the files, the zap still won’t trigger. When I place these files into OneDrive manually, the zap detects it immediately.

I read on one of the forums that the OneDrive trigger doesn’t like to work with an API/RPA but I feel like there has to be a way to work around that if this is true. I can’t really supply pictures of the issue because I have barely started my zap and still trying to get this trigger to work. If needed, I am more than happy to supply screen shots!

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by ken.a 13 June 2023, 05:14

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ggoyetteSVG 

Good question.

One thing to note, is that the Zap trigger for OneDrive - New File is NOT instant, meaning it can take from 1-15 minutes for the Zap to trigger when the Zap is ON depending on your Zapier plan.

Also, this Zap action will only work for the specified Folder (not subfolders).

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thank you for your response. I had just came to the realization shortly after posting this that this trigger is not dynamic, which you stated above. Do you know of a different trigger or work around that could potentially bring me to my desired outcome?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @ggoyetteSVG -

Wanted to jump in and see if I could help out! I see you mentioned a dynamic trigger, perhaps did you mean instant trigger? I want to be sure, as they both mean different things, and that would change the answer to your question. 😆

For additional information, there are dynamic and static values and then there are instant and scheduled triggers

• Static values: When you type a value into an action field or select a value from a dropdown menu, the Zap will send the same value to your action app every time it runs.
  • Dynamic values: When you map a field from a previous step, the Zap will send the information received for that field every time it runs.

@chanelle Thank you for the reply.

Although, I am not talking about the trigger type, I am using dynamic as a dictionary definition. That trigger uses a static value because it’s locked on only one folder. When I say dynamic, I mean having the ability to pickup the attachment anywhere inside of the selected folder.

i.e. subfolders.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @ggoyetteSVG,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

I did some digging into this, and it seems like the feature that you want is not possible at the moment. You will need to create a Zap for each folder/subfolder if you want to trigger from them. We do have an open feature request for this one, and I have added you as another interested member to the open feature request. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

Additionally, we can't recommend a specific app that would be perfect for your needs, we do have a whole category dedicated to "File Management & Storage" that might be of interest to you. I encourage you to take a look and explore the various apps available there. You might just find the right one that suits your needs perfectly. Here's the link to get you started: https://zapier.com/apps/categories/files

Hopefully, this helps! 😊