Question

Microsoft Teams error: Unable to send chat message: Resource not found.

• 18 September 2023
  • 12 replies

Hello Zapier Community,

I'm currently working on a SaaS application using Adalo, and I've come across a challenge I hope someone here can help me address. The objective is to send a private chat message in Microsoft Teams every time an action is performed in a specific Adalo collection.

Here's what I've done so far:

1. Set up a Zap where an Adalo collection entry triggers a Microsoft Teams private message.
  2. Ensured all necessary information and data points are correctly mapped.

The issue: Despite verifying the accuracy of the setup, whenever the Zap runs, I receive an error message: Unable to send chat message: Resource not found.

Further Context: The idea behind this integration is to prompt users to log into their Microsoft Teams accounts. Once logged in, the SaaS would use their account to send the aforementioned private messages.

I'm reaching out to the community for two main reasons:

1. If anyone has encountered a similar issue, how did you manage to resolve the 'Resource not found' error?
  2. Are there best practices or suggestions for optimizing this integration, particularly when dealing with sending messages through Microsoft Teams via Adalo actions?

Your insights and suggestions will be immensely valuable. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!

Best,

Younes

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Evalflow 

Good question.

We will need to see detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to have more context.

Hi Troy

Here is the zap

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Evalflow 

The Chat field expects the Chat ID, instead of the Employee Email.

Check the dropdown list to see the options.

The field expects the bottom value for each option.

You may have to add another Zap step to get the Chat ID.

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Understood, but how can I obtain a chat ID for a chat that hasn't been initiated? The zap operates with the Evalflow account (xxxx.xxxx@xxx), which means it displays chat IDs related to this Microsoft account. However, when a company like IBM utilizes our SaaS, and an IBM employee creates feedback, the zap should ideally request authorization the first time to use that employee's Office account. This would allow it to establish or retrieve a chat ID based on the recipient employee's email. I hope I've articulated my concern clearly. Thanks for your assistance.

I believe the issue arises at the step where our SaaS requires authentication of the Office account each time, ensuring messages are directed to the correct recipient. Additionally, I'm uncertain about retrieving the right chat ID. Zapier displays only pre-existing chats, but there might be instances where it's the first message sent from a coach to an employee on Teams. In the custom settings, which ID should I select - a specific one or just 'ID'?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Evalflow 

These are the available MS Teams actions.

@Evalflow

These are the available MS Teams actions.

Hi Troy, Thank you for the info. I m not sure yet how to get the zap to send a private channel msg for different users, knowing that each might be part of a different organization.

I ll try again to get a chat ID and let you know.

Thank you

This is the problem I have, I need a new chat conversation, does it exist?

If I dont want an existing chat, how can I start a new one based on the user email? as this is the unique identifier on teams?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Evalflow 

You may have to explore using the MS Teams API.

@Evalflow

The Chat field expects the Chat ID, instead of the Employee Email.

Check the dropdown list to see the options.

The field expects the bottom value for each option.

You may have to add another Zap step to get the Chat ID.

Hi Troy, 

What would be the Zap step to obtain a Chat ID from someone’s email adress? What I’m trying to set up is a Teams chat notification that is always sent from the same Teams account but the recipient changes and the only info I have for the contact is an email address.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Sabrina D. duBreton

I think Troy may have been suggesting that either the API Request (Beta) or App Extensions (Beta) Microsoft Teams actions could be used to connect to the Microsoft Teams API as the desired action wasn’t available.

You can find out more about how to set up those advanced actions here:

That said, I’m not sure it would be possible to obtain the Chat ID using just the email address for the person. What you could potentially do as a workaround is set up another Zap that triggers when a New Chat is started (should in theory give you the Chat ID). Then store a record of the Chat ID, with the person’s email address in another app like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets for example.

Then in your Zap that sends the chat notification, you’d add a search action like Microsoft Excel’s Find Row action to search for the person’s email address. Then in the Chat field on the Microsoft Teams action that sends the message, you’d select the Chat ID contained in the row that the Find Row action found. Wouldn’t be a great solution for handling existing chats as only new chats would trigger the Zap - unless you could export a list of the chat IDs and corresponding email addresses out of Teams and import it into the Google Sheet?

I’d also recommend reaching out to our Support team to request that a new feature request be added for the ability to search for existing chats by email address. They’ll be able to get that added on your behalf and add your vote to it.

Hope that helps. If you do manage to get that up and running please do let us know, eager to know how you get on with this!