Question

Microsoft SharePoint error: Error from halted execution: Unable to create an item

• 13 December 2023
  • 1 reply

I am attempting to use the “Create List Item” function for Microsoft SharePoint. I receive this error when attempting to put a User ID in the “Assigned to” field:

Failed to create an item in Microsoft SharePoint

Error from halted execution: Unable to create an item: A 'PrimitiveValue' node with non-null value was found when trying to read the value of a navigation property; however, a 'StartArray' node, a 'StartObject' node, or a 'PrimitiveValue' node with null value was expected.

The description for “Assigned to” states:

Enter the User ID. Since querying for the User ID requires admin approval in the SharePoint API, we've left this as a text input field. You must enter the User's ID, which is often numeric. Note: the User ID for a given user may vary between sites.

I have tried the user email address, display name, Azure AD Object ID, and Puid. None of these work and always result in the error above. If I leave the “Assigned to” field blank, the Zap works fine.

I have also discovered the SharePoint User Information List containing IDs that are only 2-3 character numerical values. Those do not work.

Can someone point me to the correct value to enter into the “Assigned to” field?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Steeps,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I did some digging into this, and I couldn’t find any similar reports regarding the error you’re running into when inputting an ID in the “Assigned To” field.

I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team regarding this error. Our Support Team has the correct tools to look closer at the Zap and its logs to determine the cause of the issue.

You can reach our Support Team here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help 

Hopefully, this helps.