Question

Microsoft Outlook error while retrieving: Unable to retrieve the list of emails: Group Shard is used in non-Groups URI.

• 5 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I want to use a trigger for a new email in a microsoft group (365). We have a microsoft small business account and I have connected my personal account. Reading my personal account with Zapier works fine (sending as well). Whenever I try to do the same and enter the group email adress as shared inbox I get an error message: “Error while retrieving: Unable to retrieve the list of emails: Group Shard is used in non-Groups URI.”

I double checked in outlook that I can receive and send emails from this group inbox.

Any idea on how to solve this are much appreciated!

Thanks, Chris

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@chris444 Hey there!

There are two troubleshooting options that may help with this issue:

1. Check if the email address is a valid Microsoft 365 group email address:
    Look for the email address you are trying to use and check if it is listed as a group email address.
    Verify that the shared mailbox has the correct permissions:
  1. Check that the shared mailbox has the necessary permissions to allow external applications like Zapier to access it.
  •  Make sure that you have the necessary permissions to access the shared mailbox.
  • Try accessing the shared mailbox from Outlook on the web or Outlook desktop app to ensure that you can access it.

If neither of these options work, you can either come back here as we’d be happy to assist further, check out some more info on this Community post or documentation from our Help Center, or contact our Support team as your Zap plan allows them to take a closer look at what is going on. 

Thanks chanelle!

reg 1.) I made sure the email adress exists/ is listed as an email adress within the group.

reg 2.) I can access the inbox and read emails (brower and desktop client)

Are there any other specific permissions that need to be granted?

Thanks, Christopher

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Sure! When I mentioned verifying that the shared mailbox has the correct permissions, I meant checking that the shared mailbox has the necessary permissions to allow external applications like Zapier to access it. Here are some permissions you may need to check:

1. Shared Mailbox Access: You need to make sure that you have access to the shared mailbox. (Looks like you’ve done this bit already 👍)

2. External Sharing Permissions: In order for external applications like Zapier to access the shared mailbox, the mailbox needs to be configured with external sharing permissions. You can configure these permissions through the Microsoft 365 admin center by adding Zapier's IP addresses to the allowed list of IP addresses.

3. Application Permissions: Zapier may need to be granted specific permissions to access the shared mailbox. You can configure these permissions through the Microsoft 365 admin center by granting Zapier permission to access the shared mailbox. (I believe you have done this already as your initial set up worked just find. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding.)

The specific permissions required may vary depending on your setup, so it's best to double-check Microsoft documentation or contact Microsoft support for more information on the micro-details of such! Hope this helps! 

Thanks Chanelle! I didn´t find any specific permissions (neither allowing specific IP adresses nor any application permissions that can be enabled for Zapier). However, I found this 365 documentation from Microsoft: https://learn.microsoft.com/cs-cz/connectors/office365/#known-issues-and-limitations

It says that groups cannot be used. Can you confirm?

Thanks, Christopher

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

That came up in my research as well, however I was hopeful it was treated as a shared inbox with their last update. Apologies for any confusion, is there anything else I can help you work through? Another app option we could work into the Zap?