Question

Messages Search Not working

I am doing this search 

And there are def messages matching

But I am getting nothing as a result, any ideas why?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @stelootse, let’s see if I can help! Can you please tell me a bit more on what you are hoping this Zap will accomplish as well as the trigger and action you are using? Additionally, have you checked you Zap history to ensure it is pulling successfully? There may be a delay dependent upon the trigger/action used. 

Hi @chanelle thank you for looking into this. the problem is the search it’s self - the message I am searching for is sent by Zapier but it seems the search does not work is the message is sent by a bot - is there a way to by-pass this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @stelootse 

Have you reviewed this help article from Slack?
https://slack.com/help/articles/202528808-Search-in-Slack

Hi again @Troy Tessalone I did :)

I even tested by writing a message with the same text sent from myself and that is immediately found in the search but the message posted by the zapier bot is not found in the search

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@stelootse 

Another option would be to use a lookup table as a hub to handle the data.

Check out this related topic:

Thanks - it would be good to understand if this is expected behaviour and if yes, why?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@stelootse 

Zap step data is cached.

Meaning if you search for the same exact info it will return the cached results.

Perhaps try testing again.

I tested against a manual message and an automated message in a Slack Channel, both of which returned results.

Hi @Troy Tessalone  I am going to copy everything here and show (minus the PI) as it still doesn’t work - i deleted everything and re-started and nothing :(

Slack message:

Zap:

same account that works with other zaps :)

And a 400 error…

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@stelootse

When I test an there is no match I get an error message.

That is different from this screenshot.

Make sure to use the [Test action] button.

It’s the same I just moved in between the ZAP to make the screenshots for this thread

The question is why it cannot find it….

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@stelootse 

You can try opening a ticket with Zapier Support for additional help: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @stelootse! Thanks for sharing all these details with us!

I can see you were able to open a ticket with my friends in support, which is perfect. It looks like you also linked to this thread so my friends in support can be all caught up with some of the initial troubleshooting steps you’ve taken. Thank you for doing that, it’s super helpful! Hopefully ya’ll can get to the bottom of this together.

I did do some digging and wasn’t able to find any previously reported bugs about the search function not performing for messages posted by bots vs manual posts. 🧐 If it is indeed a bug though my teammates in support will be able to help open that up for us!

If there’s any other alternative solutions ya’ll discover - please feel free to share them here! We’d love to know you’re all squared away here. 🙂