Question

Gmail data can only be sent to approved apps. Unfortunately, the app you are using is no longer supported. You'll need to edit your Zap to turn it back on.

• 1 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I have this message when i want to turn on my zap…

What can i do plz ?

Thx

Gmail has some additional requirements

Your Gmail data can only be sent to approved apps.

Unfortunately, the app you are using is no longer supported.

You'll need to edit your Zap to turn it back on.

Edit your Zap

Gmail logoChatGPT logo

Gmail can't connect to ChatGPT

Learn more

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi there @Geoffrey - thanks for coming by with your question. Gmail does have a limit as to where they will allow your data to be sent via Zapier, right now the list can be found in this article, and I’ve highlighted the specific section of approved apps here: 

Userlevel 1

Well, then why does this page say that the Gmail-ChatGPT integration exists. 

https://zapier.com/apps/gmail/integrations/openai

If it’s no good, shouldn’t the site be taken down? False advertising.

Userlevel 1

This really undercuts the value of Zapier. What’s the point?

I’m doing some test development and run into this right away. Now I’m worried what other hidden rules I might bump into (I didn’t get this error message until I had the whole thing set up). 

I’m actually trying to send data from Gmail to other Google services.

This is a big fail for Google and Zapier.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi there @oogoi and @wbal - I hear your frustration, and I can understand that it feels like false advertising when you can’t connect your personal Gmail account to these tools.

In the article I referenced above, which I’ll paste here for access as well (https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8495919107853-Common-Problems-with-Gmail#my-gmail-zap-has-an-error-about-connecting-to-google-approved-or-not-approved-apps-0-0) it was a Gmail security decision to make this limitation and is unfortunately outside of our control.

The page and integrations are active because this limitation only is on consumer Gmail accounts, these integrations do work with a business-owned Gmail address. 

Best- Rachael

Userlevel 1

ok - fair enough. page should mention that it’s only for business gmail accounts.

What about GPT4? Supposedly GPT Plus users have access to GPT4 in Zapier - I have Plus - but I don’t see GPT4 available - only 3.5. Is this similar to the Gmail issue where the capability is not there yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @oogoi,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

If you're using a ChatGPT Plus account, I recommend generating a new API key and then adding a new connection from here https://zapier.com/app/connections/chatgpt. You can do this by clicking on the Add connection” button, then selecting this newly added connection in the Zap.

Hopefully, this helps!

Userlevel 1

Yeah, this is a blatant bait & switch on Zapier’s part. It would be very easy for Zapier to clarify up front that this features is only available for Google Workspace subscribers. The apparent ease of Gmail-to-Slack zaps (the “Test” feature even works!) -- followed by a final “whoops, we can’t do this after all” when you try to publish the zap -- has wasted a bunch of my time twice now (first two years ago, and then again today, because I forgot).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I know the red tape can be confusing at times. I appreciate you sharing your candid feedback though and we’ll be sure to share this with the team.

In meantime, thanks again for taking the time!