Skip to main content

Synopsis
I have a sub-zap that includes data validation filters before copying a Contact from HubSpot into the destination system.
One of the filters checks that the First Name and Last Name both have values.
When I step through the sub-zap it works fine.
When I step through the zap that calls it, it always goes down this path no matter what values are in First Name and Last Name.

The path has three conditions and a fallback. The one that always (erroneously) matches was originally the third path but I moved it to the second with the same result.

The only other complexity I can think to mention is that the sub-zap is called from within a loop in the main zap.

So what next? Do I believe the sub-zap test, publish both and put them live, or do I believe the zap test and spend more hours on figuring out a work-around (copy the sub-zap into the main zap and forget sub-zaps exist?).

Testing Details
In the following screenshots I have simplified it by checking just the first name against the value “x”. In the test record from HubSpot it is “Simon” so obviously they should not match.
The sub-zap returns the names from HubSpot, so I can see that it really did select “Simon” from HubSpot yet it goes down the path matching it to “x”.

Main Zap

Fragment where the sub-zap is called, showing the loop.

Sub-Zap

Path conditions in sub-zap, correctly showing that the HubSpot record does not match.

Sub-zap return value from the erroneous path.

Back to the Main Zap
Screenshot shows that the sub-zap went down the path that compares first name to “x”, yet the first name is “Simon”.

Test run from main zap, showing that the sub-zap returned from the name filter path

Hi @Total ETO 

Try turning your Zap ON and testing live.

Then check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you trace the data flow between Zap steps and troubleshoot.

There could be an issue with how the data is mapped from the Looping step to the Sub-Zap step, but we would need to see screenshots with how those Zap steps are configured in EDIT mode.

OK, I took the leap of faith and ran it live and it worked.

It would seem that there is still some work to do around supporting the process of building and testing sub-zaps. I burned an awful lot of time on this.

Thank you,
James

That’s great news @Total ETO! A huge thanks to Troy for pointing you in the right direction!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗